OMG, i'm doing SQ!!!!

tommyk90
5,000+ posts

THE WHOLE THING!!!
Alright, so my new project truck is coming along (by coming along, i mean its not running and i'm tearing the interior apart). Anyways, i'm trying to piece together an SQ setup in my head and this is what i have so far.

Headunit: some type of indash dvd player (leaning towards the kenwood 717)

Speakers: front stage only: RE RE components, and a midbass (XXX 6" or dayton RS 7") all the speakers in door pods

Speaker amp: MTX blue thunder 400x5 (dedicated sub channel to power the midbass).

subs: its gonna be ridiculous

sub amps: lots of them

Now, for the problems. I have heard the RE tweeters are kinda harsh, any recommendations on curing this problem(either with different components, or piecing a set together)? I'm not dead set on the component set, so i'm up for suggestions. I'd like to have something that is a complete kit because i don't want to deal with an active component set at this time (if the RE mid is ok, but i just need to change the tweeter, that is o.k. too as long as somebody has a recommendation on a tweeter.

I'm gonna have a HEFTY sub stage, so i'm gonna need some components that are gonna scream with the power i can feed em, but won't kill my ears with harsh treble, or struggle to keep up with the subs.

I'm a n00b at SQ, so any help is appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

dosent sound like much of a SQ install lol.

RE RE 6.5s=crap in reference of high end sound quality

if you need somethign that'll keep up with a serious substage and you have room. HORNS!

if not, look at some of the CDT image "enhancement" tweeter packages. tends to help out with the highs.

remember to get a lot of sound deadening, an nice equalizer, and/or sound processors.

dosent sound like much of a SQ install lol.

RE RE 6.5s=crap in reference of high end sound quality

if you need somethign that'll keep up with a serious substage and you have room. HORNS!

if not, look at some of the CDT image "enhancement" tweeter packages. tends to help out with the highs.

remember to get a lot of sound deadening, an nice equalizer, and/or sound processors.
It doesnt take TOO much to impress an SPL person in the SQ world. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm not planning on spending an ASSLOAD on SQ speakers since it's not my main focus. I just want something that can keep up with my sub and still sound good. Sound deadening may or may not happen (depending on if it hurts or helps my SPL), and the only equalizers i'll be using are the ones on the amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

thats why i would like to have a whole component set with the crossovers. Trying to make it easy for myself since this is the first real effort i'll put into SQ.

That amp will do 150x2 with the front four channels bridged, correct? If so, that's how I'd run it.

Also, why in the hell are you going to run your midbass mono?? You'll be severly limited on what you could do with them and still acheive good sound.....even then, it will take a lot of skill setting it up properly. IMHO, ditch the mono midbass idea.

If you want strong midbass (which I assume was the purpose behind the wanting the extra midbass), snatch up the Extremis, mate a good Vifa or Seas tweeter and build your own passive.

If you want to ditch that amp, find something with a little more power I'd suggest BA Pro's. But they really excel with 200w+ per side. I had 400w per side on my old Pro6.5 set, and it got loud enough to literally make your ears pop //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Next to my horns, that's the loudest front stage I've heard.........and they sounded pretty darn good doing it too.

Or, check into Beyma. They have some relatively high efficiency products that should get nutso loud off of the 150w x 2 you have available.

That amp will do 150x2 with the front four channels bridged, correct? If so, that's how I'd run it.
Also, why in the hell are you going to run your midbass mono?? You'll be severly limited on what you could do with them and still acheive good sound.....even then, it will take a lot of skill setting it up properly. IMHO, ditch the mono midbass idea.

If you want strong midbass (which I assume was the purpose behind the wanting the extra midbass), snatch up the Extremis, mate a good Vifa or Seas tweeter and build your own passive.

If you want to ditch that amp, find something with a little more power I'd suggest BA Pro's. But they really excel with 200w+ per side. I had 400w per side on my old Pro6.5 set, and it got loud enough to literally make your ears pop //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Next to my horns, that's the loudest front stage I've heard.........and they sounded pretty darn good doing it too.

Or, check into Beyma. They have some relatively high efficiency products that should get nutso loud off of the 150w x 2 you have available.
The midbass off the mono section of the amp wouldnt be THAT limited. They would basically take over where the subs left off. I'm not exactly sure what the crossover is on it though, i'll have to check on that later. Anyways, it was just a thought.

I don't really want to ditch the amp because i'd like to have the mono sub channel just in case i decide to toss some 8's in the front (in case i dont use the sub channel for the midbass), plus i'm trying to do this SQ setup on a budget.

I dont remember the power ratings because i can't seem to get to MTX's site and look em up.

Like i said, i'm trying to do this cheap enough so i'm not spending more on SQ stuff than i am on subs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

are you planning on competing with it or just want something that sounds good for daily? from what i understand, sq competition judges dont like huge bass.

are you planning on competing with it or just want something that sounds good for daily? from what i understand, sq competition judges dont like huge bass.
I'd turn the subs down/off for the SQ part. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The midbass off the mono section of the amp wouldnt be THAT limited. They would basically take over where the subs left off. I'm not exactly sure what the crossover is on it though, i'll have to check on that later. Anyways, it was just a thought.
No.....I think you missed my point. If using mono midbass, you'd be extremely limited on what you could do with it in terms of frequency range it played, placement of the midbass, etc etc, while still maintaining proper sound.

Not to mention, it would take one very skilled in system tuning to make it sound close to decent........

But like I said.....check out Beyma. Should have something to suit your needs for quality, loud sound.

I'm with squeak on this.

Throw in an iasca CD where they play with your left and right channel. There is this one track where the voice will be heard from the left side. Thereafter, it shifts to the center, and then the right. When the voice is heard from the left side, the right channel should have no output. But since you're in mono, a bit of information might leak through the right side, so it'll drag the voice a bit to the right.

Your SQ setup looks like any other setup, except for the fact that you your down your sub for SQ. An SQ setup involves tuning, speaker placement, etc, not necessarly how much you spend on your front stage or whatever.

The RE tweeters sounds a bit harsh due to the fact that they are crossed lower than they should be. You can either replace it with a tweeter that can be crossed low, or change a few parts in the passive xover to obtain a higher frequency point.

No.....I think you missed my point. If using mono midbass, you'd be extremely limited on what you could do with it in terms of frequency range it played, placement of the midbass, etc etc, while still maintaining proper sound.
Not to mention, it would take one very skilled in system tuning to make it sound close to decent........

But like I said.....check out Beyma. Should have something to suit your needs for quality, loud sound.
any place i can see prices? Their website isnt very helpful.

To everyone else: Like i said, i'm not an SQ person. i'd like people's opinions on what they think would be better, not be ridiculed for some of the things i talked about. So unless you're going to help me, don't bother posting again.

I guess SQ is all relative //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Sounds like your average SQL system to me, lots of bass, but with decent components.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.