Old Skool Rockford equipment

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigbud747
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I was in a local CarTunes the other day in Stillwater, OK and they've got some old school audio equipment on display. One of these is a mint condition Rockford Fosgate Symmetry. The owner of the shop said it came out in the late 90's, and to me sounds like a Rockford 360.2. Except, it's about a foot long, a foot wide, and 9 inches tall.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif Can someone give me a little more infor on this thing, and possilby what it would be worth?

The owner also said that they've only sold 2 in that shop ever. The first one is the one actually in the shop and the other is still running in a guys car. He also said that you had to buy add-ons for things like cross overs, time alignmnet, and lots of other things..

Was it about the size of a desktop PC?

If so thats the original version with expansion slots.

Those didnt sell because they were too expensive, and way to friken big.

Here is some info in it: http://www.termpro.com/articles/symmetry1.html

Of course, that begs me to ask the following question: Why would you want to run one of those relics from the past when signal processing allegedly improved since then? If you were going for a "blast from the past" install theme, I could understand it.

In all honesty, what does a Symmetry have that you cannot obtain from the 3SIXTY.2, Bit1, Clean Sweep, etc? Better yet, what about the processing available in most high end, modern head units like the Alpine CDA-9887, Pioneer DEH-P 800PRS, or the Eclipse CD7200 mkii. Maybe I am wrong, but it would seem that the Symmetry would be an expensive step in the wrong technological direction.

Here is some info in it: http://www.termpro.com/articles/symmetry1.html
Of course, that begs me to ask the following question: Why would you want to run one of those relics from the past when signal processing allegedly improved since then? If you were going for a "blast from the past" install theme, I could understand it.

In all honesty, what does a Symmetry have that you cannot obtain from the 3SIXTY.2, Bit1, Clean Sweep, etc? Better yet, what about the processing available in most high end, modern head units like the Alpine CDA-9887, Pioneer DEH-P 800PRS, or the Eclipse CD7200 mkii. Maybe I am wrong, but it would seem that the Symmetry would be an expensive step in the wrong technological direction.

Why drive a 1969 Camaro when GM has made the new one faster with better handling?

Why drive a 1969 Camaro when GM has made the new one faster with better handling?

This.

And i never said anything about running it, i was just wanting some info on it and if anyone had experience.. Basic concept of understanding bad ass vintage equipment>Keyboard_Rambo

Actually, that is a bad analogy because the new Camaro SS is a PIG at 3700+ pounds.

Regardless, I watched my cousin collect Linear Power amplifiers for TWO YEARS, only to sell them ALL after they didn't perform to his expectations. I told him that he was going to be disappointed when he came to the realization that his memory faded with time but he didn't want to listen. In fact, if he reads this post, he will probably kick me out of his house for saying I told you so, yet again.

I bet you're one of those guys who thinks the new Chinese crap is as good as the old school equipment.
lol
Nope, I just think there are better options available today than those ancient, antique, relics that had self-oscillating power supplies and TO-3 transistors.

And i never said anything about running it, i was just wanting some info on it and if anyone had experience.. Basic concept of understanding bad ass vintage equipment>Keyboard_Rambo
I posted a link that should have helped you to better understand what Symmetry was! Wayne Harris was the first person I ever recall seeing in an audio magazine using Apple computers to do his processing in his hearse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.