old school amp, new school subs wiring conumdrum!

Participant count
  • Participant list

chaosreaper95

lax
Hey everyone!

So I'm having a thought issue on figuring this out and whether or not it could be damaging to my equipment. I have a MTX Thunder 81000D and 2 Rockford Fosgate dual 4 ohm 15" subs now the issue I can't seem to figure out is that this particular amp has 2 "channels" although it's a mono amp and the channels are wired in parallel which means that if you put a set of wires into each channel the amp would see a 2 ohm load instead of 4 (not 1 ohm stable amp). My main thing is if i do my original plan and wire them individually into each one so the amp pushes a 2 ohm load but the subs still be a 4 ohm load a piece would this be damaging. the amp will see 1500W RMS at 2 ohms @14.4v 850w RMS at 4 ohms. otherwise is there some method I am overlooking as I am not the greatest when it comes to series wiring etc on DVC subs.

Thanks for the help!

the amp has two terminals just to make wiring easier. think of it as a second pair on the mono block

sadly, you should have gotten dual 2 ohm subs so you could wire to 2 ohm mono. as it is, you can wire to either 1 ohm or 4 ohm mono with a pair of 4 ohm DVC.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard

I've owned several of those o/s MTX amps.....built as tanks. It is a mono amp but split internally, if that makes sense, to give the user more flexability.

That amp "can" be 1 ohm stable...there's a small mod chip that can be removed. I've ran that amp at 1 ohm w/o the mod and didn't have an issue.

If you got the electrical to support the 1 ohm load, I'd do it. Below is a DVC wiring diagram...

JL Audio » header » Support » Tutorials » Tutorial: Wiring Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Subwoofer Drivers

i prefer to keep it as a 2 ohm stable to preserve the protection. and as for the 2 ohm DVC would that be the best idea as i can make that happen.... lol i was just wondering if it was possible to work with that since its not something your supposed to do..

I've owned several of those o/s MTX amps.....built as tanks. It is a mono amp but split internally, if that makes sense, to give the user more flexability.
That amp "can" be 1 ohm stable...there's a small mod chip that can be removed. I've ran that amp at 1 ohm w/o the mod and didn't have an issue.

If you got the electrical to support the 1 ohm load, I'd do it. Below is a DVC wiring diagram...

JL Audio » header » Support » Tutorials » Tutorial: Wiring Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Subwoofer Drivers
to go off the wiring diagram this is what i was thinking in my head but i got thrown off because of those parallels since in series into one it would see that 4 ohm load i thought it would see 4 still..

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel

DVC Series-Parallel 2

Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+ to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:

Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 6 Ohms

Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 4 Ohms

Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms

Dual-1.5 Ohm Subwoofer: 1.5 Ohms

Think your looking at that diagram wrong. It shows wiring 2 DVC subs to an amp...so since you got d4 subs, your choices are 4 ohms or 1 ohm to make the best use of that amp. Now if you were to trade those subs in for d2's, your choices would be 2ohm or .5 ohm.

i wouldn't do 4 ohms...you'll barely make noise from that amp which is why I suggested 1 ohm to begin with or get another pair of subs or trade those in for d2's......OR.....just run 1 sub and sell off the other.

Think your looking at that diagram wrong. It shows wiring 2 DVC subs to an amp...so since you got d4 subs, your choices are 4 ohms or 1 ohm to make the best use of that amp. Now if you were to trade those subs in for d2's, your choices would be 2ohm or .5 ohm.
so d2's would be the smart way then just wire them how the amp will see it. because they will only get stronger at some point

so d2's would be the smart way then just wire them how the amp will see it. because they will only get stronger at some point
Or as keep hope alive stated.....rise will be above 1 ohm....either way you'll be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.