Old PPI amp ?

supadave
10+ year member

I have two old PPI A600.2 in near mint condition from an old install about 12 years ago . I also have a PPI A300.2 ....all of which are the white Art Series. I want to incorporate these amps into my new install but I am not sure if it will work out right . I have two 12" Planet Audio BB DVC 4 that I purchased about five years ago and never used . My question is......can I use one A600.2 bridged on each of the subs . According to me ..this should let each sub see 600 watts . The subs are rated for 600rms and 1200 max . Or should I just invest in a new 1500 x 1 @ 1ohm and run both subs off that one amp ? I just wanna know what will work best . I'm not trying to be the loudest vehicle....but I definitely want great sound quality .

If you wire the voice coils in parallel, the amp will only see 2ohms. That means in bridged mode each channel will only see 1ohm, and I doubt that amp will be stable at that load. Those are really nice amps it would **** to burn them up. It would probably be best to get a different amp or find some SVC 4ohm subs.

Awesome amps. I understand you are trying to utilize the equipment you have, and as far as quality, PPI is that. If the amps are in working order, I would be looking for a set of SVC 4 ohm subs to wire to each A600.2 bridged mono @4ohms...The only reason I would advise against going 2ohms mono is the age of the caps in the equipment.

There again, The monoblock class D can be very efficient if the right one is chosen. Sure they all advertise 85% + in efficiency at 4ohms. You get into running these class D's at 1ohm and then you are back down in the 60%-70% range, which at just 1200 watts can be 30 - 40amps of current draw difference than at the 4ohm rating.... it is like a 1ohm class d can be compared to a good class A/B at 4ohms in terms of power efficiency.

http://www.precisionpower.com/Manuals/Amplifier%20Manuals/Precision_Power_Art%20Series%20Axxx.2%20Amplifiers.pdf

Ok....I may have been thinking wrong . For some reason I was thinking that I could wire the voice coils in series on each speaker and then run it to the amp and get a 4ohm mono . I've been a way from the hobby for quite some time so......be patient with an old timer . Lol .

I loved my ppi a600.2, they might be a little underrated but one of the best sounding amps on subs I've ever heard. I would keep the amps and get different subs, something SQ oriented. However you can get about $400 for the pair

Ok....I may have been thinking wrong . For some reason I was thinking that I could wire the voice coils in series on each speaker and then run it to the amp and get a 4ohm mono . I've been a way from the hobby for quite some time so......be patient with an old timer . Lol .
I was going by 1 sub per amp...with the 4ohm dvc, you have 2 options, 2 ohms parallel or 8ohms series. You could wire them to the amps at 8ohms mono, but you are looking at 300 w ea. or wire both subs' vc series to 8 ohms and wire both subs parallel to one 600.2 bridged mono, but still have the 300 w ea and the amp will be working twice as hard.

Make sense? just think of it as having four 4ohm voice coils you are trying to work with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.