Old new box (Pics!)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Raven
10+ year member

Lacking social skills!
Michigan
Here's the story behind this. Take one (1) sealed box for two (2) 15 inch subs.

Rip off the face. Add an L shaped wall for a port, and put a new face on. Caulk

well and let dry overnight. Serves 1 to 8, depending on how many are in your

car.

000_0202.jpg

When I realized I should be taking pics, It was too late to get ones of me ripping

the face off piece by piece. The Liquid Nails held so well that the MDF ripped

before the glue would. notice my amp is on the table behind it. I pulled that out,

too. I had been driving to silence for over a week, and to no bass for a few days

(plugged in rear fill) after I pulled the box.

000_0203.jpg

Tools of the trade.

000_0207.jpg

Here you can see the start of the port. It's 29 square inches a few inches over 2

feet long. Roughly 35 hertz according to most online calculators, not including

effective length. I didn't do any exact numbers, because if it doesn't work, I'm

just going to bug Jmac to give me my plans already. =)

000_0205.jpg

Since both chambers were originally sealed, I saw no reason to change this.

Besides, I was told that 187s work equally well when sharing airspace or not.

000_0204.jpg

The finished product. That gray stuff under the face is (get this) weather

stripping! Since this thing was such a b*tch to get off, I decided not to glue it.

This allows me to pull it off should I want to use it for 10s later on. All said and

done, it's only about 1.8 cubes per sub. You'll notice above the meow mix is

another enclosure. Sealed, 1 cube for a single ten. I used it with Lightning Audio

Bolt 10s. They were very very sucky.

I should mention that I didn't cut the port walls just right. There were about 1/8"

too wide. This puts a *lot* of tension on the box, but it's also going to kill most any flexing. I weighed the end product. About 70 pounds. That and my entry level incriminators will put nearly 100 pounds of bass into my trunk. It's very bulky, I hate having to lug it around.

So what do you think?

I'll tell you all how well the box works after I get the subs. Hoping tomorrow. UPS hates me with a passion. They had all the paperwork, but no subs, so I refused to sign for them. Blah.

There looked like there were a few miniscule air leaks around the weather stripping before I put the face on, but after smushing it with the pressure of and incredible number of screws (about 1 pound out of box) I think they are gone. Again, if all goes well, I'll find out tomorrow!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.