Old Guy with some JL Audio 12w3v3 Subs in the Trunk ... Need Input ...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tim_in_NC
10+ year member

atlanta
Hi all ...

I'm going to add 2 JL Audio 12w3v3 Subs to the trunk on my daily driver ... I'll be powering them with an amp that's been sitting around for several years and hasn't seen any action as of yet ...

The amp is a Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 (25 to Life Version) ... Birth Sheet reads a little over 300 RMS Watts x 2 @ 4 ohms ... But the amp is also capable of higher RMS output x 2 @ 2 ohms ...

So my Questions are: Wouldn't 4 ohm 12w3v3's been enough ... do I really need the 2 ohm load JL's ??? I'm thinking 300 is their sweet spot ...

Also, I'm not looking for the DB record or any of that jazz ... I just want nice clean, tight bass that can get loud if needed ...

The music that I listen to includes: Rock, Pop, Jazz, an Occasional R&B/Rap Song ... oh yea ... sometimes country as well ...

So, next Question ... Should I go with a Sealed Box or Ported Box Based on Amp using, Bass that I enjoy, music style and going in a truck of a car ...

Thanks,

TIM

First off noticed ya live in ATL. I live in Canton its about 45 mins north of ya. Anyways. For those subs you can run 300-450rms each and they will do fine. I would personally run the amp at 2ohms as to get the most out of the amp without clipping it. And as far as box recommendations seeing how your not wanting a loud daily driver I would go sealed. It will save on trunk space and have an overall smooth sound to it. You can do 1 cube sealed per sub and it will sound great

First off noticed ya live in ATL. I live in Canton its about 45 mins north of ya. Anyways. For those subs you can run 300-450rms each and they will do fine. I would personally run the amp at 2ohms as to get the most out of the amp without clipping it. And as far as box recommendations seeing how your not wanting a loud daily driver I would go sealed. It will save on trunk space and have an overall smooth sound to it. You can do 1 cube sealed per sub and it will sound great
Thanks for the reply ... are there any downsides to going with the 2 ohm load? Will the amp get hotter, lessen it's life, produce any differences acoustically, etc ... Thanks ... I've been out of the hobby for a while //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ...

Thanks for the reply ... are there any downsides to going with the 2 ohm load? Will the amp get hotter, lessen it's life, produce any differences acoustically, etc ... Thanks ... I've been out of the hobby for a while //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ...
naw you will be fine running it that way. You could even buy the JLw3's in 2ohm and wire them together for a 4ohm load and bridge the amp. But either way I would buy the 2ohm version over the 4ohm

naw you will be fine running it that way. You could even buy the JLw3's in 2ohm and wire them together for a 4ohm load and bridge the amp. But either way I would buy the 2ohm version over the 4ohm
Thank You

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.