Old car, new CD Player... HELP!

Zach85
10+ year member

I have an '87 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S and am trying to install an Aiwa CDC-116 CD Receiver. I get the Power, ground, speakers, and subwoofer wires connected and everything works. Once the headlights get turned on, the CD Player shuts off. Once the Headlights are turned off, CD Player gets power back. Possible cross-wire or something, but don't know where to look. New to installing CD Players. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Any help from anyone please? I also don't have any wiring Schematics... got from a friend who didn't save the manual and stuff. Please help anyone! Thanks!

Email me! or reply! Thanks

Originally posted by Zach85 I have an '87 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S and am trying to install an Aiwa CDC-116 CD Receiver. I get the Power, ground, speakers, and subwoofer wires connected and everything works. Once the headlights get turned on, the CD Player shuts off. Once the Headlights are turned off, CD Player gets power back. Possible cross-wire or something, but don't know where to look. New to installing CD Players. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Any help from anyone please? I also don't have any wiring Schematics... got from a friend who didn't save the manual and stuff. Please help anyone! Thanks!

Email me! or reply! Thanks
First, go to Wal-Mart or your local car audio store, and buy a Oldsmobile wiring connector that fits you vechicle specs (it will list your model/make of your car specifically) they cost around 7 bucks.

What do I do after I do that? My friend said I didn't need one of those things, and that I can just connect the wires together. Will go today to get one! Thanks for your input!

Originally posted by Zach85 What do I do after I do that? My friend said I didn't need one of those things, and that I can just connect the wires together. Will go today to get one! Thanks for your input!
The wires will be the same color as those that you are connecting to (or close to it) so it makes things a lot easier. After you get one, I can help you a lot more.

Thank you. I went out to get one, and after checking a few places, I finally found an auto store that had one. I wired the wires from the back of the CD player to the Harness, and a guy from one of the places I checked told me what to do. Any specific instructions you'd like to tell me? Thanks!

Originally posted by Zach85 Thank you. I went out to get one, and after checking a few places, I finally found an auto store that had one. I wired the wires from the back of the CD player to the Harness, and a guy from one of the places I checked told me what to do. Any specific instructions you'd like to tell me? Thanks!
Wire color to color exactly by crimping, but some colors may not match so use the slosest color...

I pretty much have it wired up correctly, for I have checked and now it will work even with the headlights on (if you forget, my problem was that it wouldn't work with the headlights on). I thank you for your help. By the way, any specific ways you know of to "mount" the player in there? I may have to get a new CD Player holder thing because the screw-holes don't match, but I probably could just drill new holes or something... Thanks again!

Originally posted by Zach85 I pretty much have it wired up correctly, for I have checked and now it will work even with the headlights on (if you forget, my problem was that it wouldn't work with the headlights on). I thank you for your help. By the way, any specific ways you know of to "mount" the player in there? I may have to get a new CD Player holder thing because the screw-holes don't match, but I probably could just drill new holes or something... Thanks again!
Cool...bad news is you might need to make another trip to the shop to get a CD player Face holder (what I call it) for your specific vechicle as well. They run b/t 7 and 10 bucks, and make your install look a lot better.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I've got an 89 Cutlass Ciera SL, so I can probably help you with mounting the CD player.

First, get this adapter kit http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SCOGM1509B.

Then, score off the 2 sides with the eyeholes so youre left with just a rectangle. Then on the factory cassette player, there are 2 small rectangle shaped pieces of metal with bolts that connect the stock HU to the dash board (call these stock connectors). screw these off, and use the screws provided with the adapter kit to screw the stock connectors to the adapter kit. You will have to drill holes in the adapter kit so the screws can fit. The adapter kit should then flush mount to the dash board just like the old stock HU. Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks RangerMan and Gauntlet

is it possible to use the holding thing that was with the Cassette player and attach that to the CD Player? Now that I think of it, I don't think it would look good. Because the Cassette is thicker than the cd player, it might leave a gap between the CD player and the top of the "face plate". I think I'm gonna go and get an installation kit from Walmart. I think I saw one the other day for 10-15 dollars. I hope they have my car model. Thanks again!

Originally posted by Zach85 Thanks RangerMan and Gauntlet

is it possible to use the holding thing that was with the Cassette player and attach that to the CD Player? Now that I think of it, I don't think it would look good. Because the Cassette is thicker than the cd player, it might leave a gap between the CD player and the top of the "face plate". I think I'm gonna go and get an installation kit from Walmart. I think I saw one the other day for 10-15 dollars. I hope they have my car model. Thanks again!
No problem! Let me know if you need anything else!

It's not possible, the attachments wont align with the eyeholes in the dash. With the kit you should be fine. Don't worry if it doesnt look right. When I got mine, I was pissed because it obviously didnt line up right, and I couldn't find one that did, but after some modification with the stock HU attachments it looks great. Let me know if you need any help with it

Oh My God! This is so fustrating! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif I was at my friend's house and something happened while my friend was trying to connect the speaker cables (Jack holding wires from car was snipped a few days ago and he was trying to connect the these wires directly to the CD player... I will be going to junk yard on Thursday to get a new one) and like 4 different fuse blew... I was driving in the dark without my gauge light working... I was driving with the flashlight lighting on it til I got to AutoZone to buy fuses to replace everything. I got the harness from AutoZone yesterday and an extension thing was included, I don't know how to use it. The end looks like a fuse, and it has two wires coming out. One is labeled "Illumination" and is colored Orange, and the other one is "12 Volt Batt/Memory" and is colored yellow. Could someone explain me where they should be connected? thanks!

Originally posted by Zach85 Oh My God! This is so fustrating! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif I was at my friend's house and something happened while my friend was trying to connect the speaker cables (Jack holding wires from car was snipped a few days ago and he was trying to connect the these wires directly to the CD player... I will be going to junk yard on Thursday to get a new one) and like 4 different fuse blew... I was driving in the dark without my gauge light working... I was driving with the flashlight lighting on it til I got to AutoZone to buy fuses to replace everything. I got the harness from AutoZone yesterday and an extension thing was included, I don't know how to use it. The end looks like a fuse, and it has two wires coming out. One is labeled "Illumination" and is colored Orange, and the other one is "12 Volt Batt/Memory" and is colored yellow. Could someone explain me where they should be connected? thanks!
Illumination makes the CD player comne on at night (with your lights/speedometer) and you don't need 12 volt, so tie it off...

don't I need the 12 volt batt/memory so it will remember the time and my radio settings? I think it will work if I have the power wires (red) all connected, with the Lamp and Illumination connected. It worked before so I think with my new wiring it should work as well?

I have a blue cable with a tape around it labeled "ATT" coming from the CD. What is that? is that supposed to attach to the power antenna from the harness? Also, I have two other blue wires with a plastic covering on the end (seems to connect to something) but I can't find anything that it would connect to! If you want a picture of what I mean I will post one up at your request. By the way, I don't know if the ends of the Orange and Yellow cables as I described earlier is needed to be plugged into something... It looks like a fuse, but it's a bit bigger than one. I hope you have a clear image of what I'm trying to describe. I just looked at the CD Player and it seems that the patch that hooks into the CD player has two openings for something (what... I don't know) and seems that maybe I'm supposed to take the end of the yellow and orange wires and hook it into there? might be a suggestion, but I don't know. Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.