Old car, new CD Player... HELP!

Post some pics... even if we understand, which i dont it will still help alot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by Zach85 don't I need the 12 volt batt/memory so it will remember the time and my radio settings? I think it will work if I have the power wires (red) all connected, with the Lamp and Illumination connected. It worked before so I think with my new wiring it should work as well?

I have a blue cable with a tape around it labeled "ATT" coming from the CD. What is that? is that supposed to attach to the power antenna from the harness? Also, I have two other blue wires with a plastic covering on the end (seems to connect to something) but I can't find anything that it would connect to! If you want a picture of what I mean I will post one up at your request. By the way, I don't know if the ends of the Orange and Yellow cables as I described earlier is needed to be plugged into something... It looks like a fuse, but it's a bit bigger than one. I hope you have a clear image of what I'm trying to describe. I just looked at the CD Player and it seems that the patch that hooks into the CD player has two openings for something (what... I don't know) and seems that maybe I'm supposed to take the end of the yellow and orange wires and hook it into there? might be a suggestion, but I don't know. Thanks
Yeah, I pic would let me help you a bit more.

Originally posted by Zach85 don't I need the 12 volt batt/memory so it will remember the time and my radio settings?
Yes. You'll probably have to find a place in the fusebox for that, since stock radio's don't usually have a clock. Tapping into the ciggarette lighter wire works - it's on all the time.

I have a blue cable with a tape around it labeled "ATT" coming from the CD. What is that? is that supposed to attach to the power antenna from the harness?
Power antenna sounds right.

Also, I have two other blue wires with a plastic covering on the end (seems to connect to something) but I can't find anything that it would connect to!
Blue wires are generally remote turn-ons for your amps.

By the way, I don't know if the ends of the Orange and Yellow cables as I described earlier is needed to be plugged into something... It looks like a fuse, but it's a bit bigger than one.
On most radios, orange is the illumination wire from the light dimmer in the dash, and yellow is constant power for clock/memory.

i know what you're talking about, I had one on my olds too.

Take the wiring harness you bought and crimp all the wires to the the wires that came with the new cd player. They should be the same color, but if some aren't, look at the wire and somewhere it should say something like "Right Front Speaker +" or something similar. Just find the other one with the same written on it. the two wires with what you said looked like a fuse should be crimped in there too. One may say "power antenna", but if you dont have a retractable antenna, dont do anything to it. Now plug the side of the wires that came with the cd player into it.

take out your factory radio and install the dash kit adaptor.

When you took out your factory radio, there should've been 4 (i think) plugs that go into it, plus the antenna. 3 of the plugs are large and these and these plug into the harness you bought. The smaller one goes into a seperate piece of the wiring harness, the fuse thing. Then plug in the antenna (you may need an adaptor, i didn't even though the computer that I bought my stuff from said I would). Turn on your car and make sure it works. If it does, install it into your dash kit.

Do you have any friends that have done a headunit install before? I suggest they help you with it if you're still having problems.

Tek,

Thanks. The reason why I'm fustrated at this point is because of my friends who (they claim) know cars. One of the 3 plugs (blue one for rear speakers) was clipped by one of them who thought that it would be ok to wire them directly to the CD player without the harness. I will be going to the junk yard today or tomorrow, depending if they're open today due to New Years to get a clip to wire back onto speaker wires. Thanks again.

RangerMan, here is a webpage I made (under a website I'm currently working on) that has the pictures. The one is of the blue wires I was telling you about, and the other one is the one with the Orange and Yellow cables that look like they are hooked to a fuse like end. I hope this is useful.

http://www.geocities.com/ccna_zach/carwires.html

Happy New Years

Originally posted by Zach85 Tek,

Thanks. The reason why I'm fustrated at this point is because of my friends who (they claim) know cars. One of the 3 plugs (blue one for rear speakers) was clipped by one of them who thought that it would be ok to wire them directly to the CD player without the harness. I will be going to the junk yard today or tomorrow, depending if they're open today due to New Years to get a clip to wire back onto speaker wires. Thanks again.

RangerMan, here is a webpage I made (under a website I'm currently working on) that has the pictures. The one is of the blue wires I was telling you about, and the other one is the one with the Orange and Yellow cables that look like they are hooked to a fuse like end. I hope this is useful.

http://www.geocities.com/ccna_zach/carwires.html

Happy New Years
Do you plan on wiring an amp any time soon???

well...you dont NEED the harness, it just makes it easier, and alot easier if you want to put the old radio back in when you get rid of the car or get a new head unit.

I'm thinking about putting an amp in, but I will be getting a new car in a few months so I think I might wait til then. I'm kinda low on money right now. I have a subwoofer I'm interested in putting in which I'm going to use the wires for one of the front speakers (they're bad speakers and don't feel like replacing) to hook up the subwoofer. Also, how much would a decent amp cost?

Any help from those pictures?

Will this work?

Wire - color ------ connected to ----- wire - color

Illumination - Orange ----- Positive Dimmer Orange/white

12 volt batt/mem - Yellow ----- Lamp - Yellow

12 V B/Mem-Lamp - Yellow-Yellow ----- Power (3 of them) - Red

I hope you can read this. If not I'll write everything out in next post.

Gauntlet, that "box" I labeled "What Is This", do I need to plug that in somewhere or should I just leave it as it is? I tried looking for a place to plug it in but can't find anything. Also, that website shows that only the yellow wire is connected to that "box". Why would that be?

Originally posted by Zach85 Will this work?

Wire - color ------ connected to ----- wire - color

Illumination - Orange ----- Positive Dimmer Orange/white

12 volt batt/mem - Yellow ----- Lamp - Yellow

12 V B/Mem-Lamp - Yellow-Yellow ----- Power (3 of them) - Red

I hope you can read this. If not I'll write everything out in next post.

Gauntlet, that "box" I labeled "What Is This", do I need to plug that in somewhere or should I just leave it as it is? I tried looking for a place to plug it in but can't find anything. Also, that website shows that only the yellow wire is connected to that "box". Why would that be?
Illumination connects to the dimmer. You really need a CD Player wiring guide...what model is your CD player, and I'll try to find one...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.