Ohms question for JL 8W6 speakers (2)

aharper
10+ year member

Indy
I found a good deal on a couple 8w6 JL subs and was doing a little reading.

The 8W6 is rated at 6 ohms. If I have two of them, how do I wire them to get to either 4 or 2 ohms, the standard for most amplifiers? I am hoping not spend more than $200 or so on an amp and most of them run at 2 or 4 ohms.

If I wire the coils and speakers in parallel it produces 1.5 ohms. If I wire the coils and speakers in series it produces a 12 ohm load.

So what is the best way to wire the speakers? If I have an amp running at 2 ohms will it damage the speakers by being off .5 ohms??

TIA

Andy

The 8W6 is rated at 6 ohms. If I have two of them, how do I wire them to get to either 4 or 2 ohms, the standard for most amplifiers? I am hoping not spend more than $200 or so on an amp and most of them run at 2 or 4 ohms.

If I wire the coils and speakers in parallel it produces 1.5 ohms. If I wire the coils and speakers in series it produces a 12 ohm load.

So what is the best way to wire the speakers? If I have an amp running at 2 ohms will it damage the speakers by being off .5 ohms??

TIA

Andy
no...if your subs are wired to 1.5 ohms, the amp will run at 1.5 ohms, just make sure you have an amp that can handle a load

No. I held off getting an amp waiting to see what subs I ended up with. I used to have 3 8w6's some time ago (years ago) that ran at 4 ohm, probably won't end up with 3 in this case, only 2. Found a decent deal and think I'm going to go for it.

So now I'm finding myself looking for a 1 ohm amp. A quick search through the classifieds and it looks like there are plenty to find.

TIA

Andy
No.

Two single voice coil 6ohm subs can only be wired to 3 or 12ohms.

And you can not run an amp at a different ohm load than your speakers are wired for. A amp reads it's load from the speakers. So if you wire your speakers to 3ohms the amp sees 3ohms.

8w6 is a Dual Voice Coil speaker, so dual 6 ohm.

Reading the spec sheet for two speakers it reads like this...

With coils AND speakers wired in parallel:

2 dual 6Ω speakers (D6) will present a 1.5Ω load.

With the coils wired in series and the speakers wired in parallel:

2 dual 6Ω speakers (D6) will present a 6Ω load.

So I guess I mis-spoke in my original post. I can't find an amp that runs at 1.5Ω so do I look for a 1Ω amp or a 2Ω amp????????

Or... it looks like a JL 500/1 should run 400 watts at 1.5Ω. Is that right? If so, then I could certainly go that route.

Or... it looks like a JL 500/1 should run 400 watts at 1.5Ω. Is that right? If so, then I could certainly go that route.

Yes, the JL 500/1 will run them nicely. You will see 500w RMS between 1.5 and 4 ohm. Also the JBL crown series will do that.

I think the 500/1 and 2 8w6's would be a nice combo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.