Ohms, Amps and Speakers, I'm getting muddled.

Participant count
  • Participant list

arachnae

Okay, here's a brief run down.. I have 2 speakers I want to run off a 2 channel amp, nothing too fancy really.

The speakers are VIBE blackair69s and are rated at 175W RMS with a minimum of 85W RMS (apparently) at 4ohms.

My Amp is an edge ED7400 with the following ratings..

4 ohm stereo - 2 x 80W RMS

2 ohm stereo - 2 x 100W RMS

4 ohm mono - 1 x 200W RMS

Basically I'm struggling how the math would exactly work here.. I mean obviously if i just connect the speakers up I'm going to get 80W RMS to each speaker and thas 5 below recommended.

However I also think I have the option of bridging the connection, which I think would give me more power output?

If I bridge and wire in series, I figure that brings me to 8ohms resistance total which would split that 200W mono down to 100W to each speaker?

If I bridge and wire in parallel, I figure that I now have 2 ohms resistance.. and i fry some equipment..

Can someone please check my math and let me know if I've got anything badly wrong, or suggest the best way to wire this setup?

Wire each speaker to a seperate channel and be done with it. There will be no audible difference between 80w and 100w. Your math looks correct //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There will be no real difference between 5W under the minimum and 20W over?

Also, what would happen if I did bridge and connect in parallel? 2ohms speakers on a 4ohm supply would effectively double the power going to the speakers.. 400W to each speaker, which is the max output of the amp... is it safe to assume that this would damage the speakers and blow the amp?

Is there a possibility of wiring it this way but adding a resistor to the circuit myself? So it would essentially be a bridged connection wired in parallel and then I'd put say a 2ohm resistor in front of each speaker? In theory that should bring my resistance back up to 4ohm while the parallel wiring would mean i get 200W to each speaker and everything is running within spec, right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.