ohm explaination please

all ohms really has to do with is your amplifier and how much power you get out of it (or what your amplifier is safe down to). From what I understand ohms is pretty much some sort or resistance which makes less watts. In other words, if an amp is stable down to 1 ohm, then it will put out alot more watts at 1 ohm then it will at 4 ohms. All I really care about is how low my amplifier can go with ohms, then I just wire my subs to as low as the amp can handle. Lower the more powerful, but it gets hotter and strains the amp more (but who really cares about that).......correct me if i'm wrong, but that is my understanding.

so if a jl250/1 says 1.5-4ohm and 250rms does that mean it will produce the same wattage output within the ohm range?

Why would I want to wire a pair of 4 ohm speakers either parallel to 2 ohms or in series/parallel to 4 ohms or series to 8 ohms?
what is the difference and bennefit?
In general terms, the lower the impedance (ohms) the more power you get. The limit to how low in ohms you can go is determined by the design of the amp. The game we play is choosing a combination of speaker or sub impedances that gives the best results for any given amplifier.
Example:

You have a 2 channel amp that will run 200 watts 4 ohms bridged or 100 watts each channel with 2 ohms on each, and you want to use it for 2 subs. Choices for sub wiring:

A) Two 8-ohm subs in parallel (4 ohm total) running bridged.

B) Two 4 ohm DVC subs wired with their coils in parallel on each channel

C) Two 2 ohm subs wired in series running bridged

All cases give the same result, 100 watts per sub. With this amp, two 4 ohm speakers could not be wired to get the maximum power the amp is capable of.

These are the things you have to consider when configuring a system, and it's the reason there's so many friggin "ohms" questions on the forums.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.