Objective calculations for increasing sub stage output (not a question)

See: 'obvious "in a perfect world" and "all else equal" assumptions made' Surely you didn't think I was making a real world calculation. Especially with multiple disclaimers that blatantly indicate that it was approximate AND theoretical
And in regard to the proving I'm smart thing. I kind of figured there would be that one immature person that "does an obvious post to prove how socially superior they think they are"

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just didn't read the post in its entirety and do you the kindness of not using a clapping emoji

Socially superior in what? Being a super genius of subs and how they work.

Im no immature user, im just bored.

Whether it be theoretical or approximate or even an estimation.. You came in feeling proud and now you are discouraged due to not knowing what is publicly and entirely overwhelmingly explained all over the internet.

Like the franks red hot old lady says "i put that sh1t on everything"

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Estimated cone area of 6 8s is 301 in^2
Estimated cone area of 1 15 is 176 in^2

You have more cone area and cooling with the 8s Its not hard to win when you have one side completely stacked.
These were just different configurations that I can fit in my small trunk. The 8's (or any smaller sub) have comparatively small sized enclosure requirements per unit of cone area, which offsets the decrease in efficiency compared to one big driver that is perfectly coupled.

Socially superior in what? Being a super genius of subs and how they work.
Im no immature user, im just bored.

Whether it be theoretical or approximate or even an estimation.. You came in feeling proud and now you are discouraged due to not knowing what is publicly and entirely overwhelmingly explained all over the internet.

Like the franks red hot old lady says "i put that sh1t on everything"

I don't think I explained anything that people on here that people wouldn't be able to easily find out elsewhere if they so pleased, but the point of these 3 comparisons were for ME and my actual system and the system I am building in the future. I was seeing what all I could fit of each size of the SA series (sticking with the series I know best) and just in case somebody didn't know what all of it meant, I explained it. I shared it considering I actually had it typed on notepad. It seemed more beneficial to share than doing nothing at all with it.

Came in feeling proud? Really?

Like Randall from Clerks says "there's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others is there?"

I don't think I explained anything that people on here that people wouldn't be able to easily find out elsewhere if they so pleased, but the point of these 3 comparisons were for ME and my actual system and the system I am building in the future. I was seeing what all I could fit of each size of the SA series (sticking with the series I know best) and just in case somebody didn't know what all of it meant, I explained it. I shared it considering I actually had it typed on notepad. It seemed more beneficial to share than doing nothing at all with it.
Came in feeling proud? Really?

Like Randall from Clerks says "there's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others is there?"
Drama queen..

Lol internet forums. I'll probably end up getting advice on a thread some time in the future from los33 and others so don't want to get on anyone's bad side but he/she totally misjudged my intentions. I'll be needing more help with 4 ch / mid&high amps and speaker info bc i pretty much have only worked with subs so far

Lol internet forums. I'll probably end up getting advice on a thread some time in the future from los33 and others so don't want to get on anyone's bad side but he/she totally misjudged my intentions. I'll be needing more help with 4 ch / mid&high amps and speaker info bc i pretty much have only worked with subs so far
Haha you were just my target at the time to mess with.

Im a nobody here so no worries about me. Mids and highs setup is so much easier then subs. Just tuning is where the real physics major comes in with rta's and cr4p.

My degree was in Physics. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif As far as needing help in the future unless it's for reliable brands and experiences with certain products I suggest you put your technical background to work and come to your own assumptions/knowledge. Once you start delving, car audio gets hairy pretty quick and everyone has an opinion which may or may not have any substantial backing.

My degree was in Physics. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif As far as needing help in the future unless it's for reliable brands and experiences with certain products I suggest you put your technical background to work and come to your own assumptions/knowledge. Once you start delving, car audio gets hairy pretty quick and everyone has an opinion which may or may not have any substantial backing.
Yeah the forum is sometimes really useful because things don't always behave as expected in the real world. And some of the stuff I'm just not so aure about. Like I know wiring at very low resistance increases the current draw proportionately more so than the power, but don't know if SQ is affected significantly by going from 4 to 2 ohms on speakers or going from 2 to .5 nom impedance on subs. A lot more too. And opinions seem to help steer me in the right direction. And reliable brands / experience with certain products is a big chunk of what i ask about anyway haha.

These were just different configurations that I can fit in my small trunk. The 8's (or any smaller sub) have comparatively small sized enclosure requirements per unit of cone area, which offsets the decrease in efficiency compared to one big driver that is perfectly coupled.
Real world tests, cone area matters. thats why two 12s will be louder than 1 15. two 10s louder than one 12. A wall of five 8s will be almost equal to a single 18 without requiring as much cubic feet. You have cars going from a 16 cubic feet net wall with 4 15s (706 in ^2) swapped with 16 10s (1256 in ^2) in the exact same wall specs and they gain a large amount of output from the increase cone area and cooling. Multiple smaller subs will almost always be louder if you dont run into phase issues (not a big issue most of the times from the builds i've seen)

Real world tests, cone area matters. thats why two 12s will be louder than 1 15. two 10s louder than one 12. A wall of five 8s will be almost equal to a single 18 without requiring as much cubic feet. You have cars going from a 16 cubic feet net wall with 4 15s (706 in ^2) swapped with 16 10s (1256 in ^2) in the exact same wall specs and they gain a large amount of output from the increase cone area and cooling. Multiple smaller subs will almost always be louder if you dont run into phase issues (not a big issue most of the times from the builds i've seen)
That's exactly what I was saying though haha. Preaching to the choir. The whole point of this exercise was to give myself a visual aid on what I can fit in my trunk, and it shows that smaller subs can give you more cone area in a given small space because they require less volume per unit cone area. I'm also weighing cost though and I'm also worried about phase cancellation. I'll at least be trying to keep the subs very close to each other to help with that a bit.

Like I said, this was just for my personal use. I'm a physics major and this stuff is pretty interesting to me and this in particular was pretty simple to figure out. I had it all on notepad and just copy pasted and added annotations. Thought it was kinda cool that 6 sa-8's on double rated power would generate 2 1/2 times the pressure of my current setup (1 sa-15 on double rated power before rise) theoretically. Also not many people seem to know that the theoretical 3 dB gain one gets from doubling power is actually sq.root(10) dB (~3.16).
I'm much like you, very interested in physics, some math (high level calculus excluded lol), and a lot of science. Not a physics major, unmanned aircraft systems major, but anyways. Take it from me, someone who thinks like you, that you're over thinking it. We learned the same equations, and I'm sure a lot of the same material although I did learn a lot more about aerodynamics (I go to an aviation school, kinda makes sense). While they're great for understanding how these things work, that's about it. You're not going to get any accurate results without worrying about a multitude of factors that you'll never be able to accurately measure imho

I'm much like you, very interested in physics, some math (high level calculus excluded lol), and a lot of science. Not a physics major, unmanned aircraft systems major, but anyways. Take it from me, someone who thinks like you, that you're over thinking it. We learned the same equations, and I'm sure a lot of the same material although I did learn a lot more about aerodynamics (I go to an aviation school, kinda makes sense). While they're great for understanding how these things work, that's about it. You're not going to get any accurate results without worrying about a multitude of factors that you'll never be able to accurately measure imho
It was just more of a nifty little exercise to be honest haha. Trust me I know these calculations are zero percent likely to reflect real world results. But the theoretical calculations, assuming a fantasy universe where nothing goes wrong and non-acoustic factors don't exist, are pretyy much solid. The numbers here were just sufficient enough for me to have a visual aid to somewhat help me weigh the costs/benefits of a few options, that's it really

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.