o gauge andx circuit breakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

magnumsrt8215
10+ year member

I was at a shop yestrday where I got my car done, and I have 2 new rockford amps that I'm gonna get installed both of them call for 0 gauge wire I only have 4 gauge with a cicuit breaker not sure what size. I was told that if I use 0 gauge fo both amps I need 2 circuit breakers, is this true?

Unless they are running two 0 Gauge wires from the battery (one for each amp) you only need one circuit breaker who's Amperage rating is equal to the sum Amperage of both amps, and does not exceed the safe limit for the length of wire.

They are probably gonna put one of the circuit breakers wit in 18 inches of the battery and then another one at the end of the run on the zero gauge right before the amps. I would go with ANL fuses or mini ANL fuses. Depending on the quality of the circuit breaker they my not trip, I hve seen this happen to a few people. Make sure you are getting true 0 gauge? Ask what brand wire it is and if it is OFC (Oxygen Free Copper)cable. Some companies advertise 0 gauge, but the actual diameter of the wire is 2 to 4 gauge at best sometimes.

Another thing you can buy your own 0 gauge and fuses and fuse holders really cheap and then have your installer put it in. KnuKonceptz 0 gauge, Kicker 0 gauge, etc are steller. If you want to save some money go with 0 gauge welding wire. If you re not looking for pretty wire check out weldingsupply https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF:OR:terms::pA#A2 .. More and more people are using this wire. The Ultraflix Orange is very flexible has good shielding. I use this on my suburban and hve 3 runs of zero gauge in it. It used to be only $2.80 a ft, but its becoming popular and the price has skyrocketed. You can use some other colors on the site although they my t be as flexible, but if you are doing straight runs it does not matter. Look around the web and see what people are saying about welding wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.