NSTALN's Froggy Frontier 5.1 surround build

Starting to get an idea of sized and shape of sub enclosure....this is just a mock-up to get an idea of feasibility of what I want to do...the actual box will look a bit different. The idea is dual 12's sealed separate chambers, down-firing with the box about 2inches off the floor...and it will probably involve Plexiglas and LED's too...because I just can't help myself.

2146rlu.jpg

34dpr7l.jpg

sfw8yp.jpg

er0dvs.jpg

More to come...

Different kitty in this picture...but you should recognize most of the subs...you owned most of these actual subs at one point or another. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
tarbk4.jpg
That is awesome, lol.
The build is looking great, man. Should sound phenomenal.

That is awesome, lol.
The build is looking great, man. Should sound phenomenal.
It actually sounds pretty good already! The speakers are all wired-up and running and I'm using a single JL Micro-Sub 6w3 ported for 'sub' until I get the 2 MASS's in place. Having the center channel really helps (IMO) with the staging...I wasn't sure how I would feel/like the 5.1 in a vehicle but I have to say it really does sound nice. I've done bare minimal tuning so far of course but I'll be busting out the UMIK-1 and REW in the not so distant future and clean things up....but initial reaction is positive.

Not sure how the sub enclosure is gonna play out...but it'll be funky by the time I'm done.

Looking great! Sanford show is 30th, I'd love to give this a listen.

I ran 5.1 in a couple vehicles and found it was best with movies and I'd just turn off the other channels for music, but with today's processing power you may be able to really dial it in clean.

Looking great! Sanford show is 30th, I'd love to give this a listen.
I ran 5.1 in a couple vehicles and found it was best with movies and I'd just turn off the other channels for music, but with today's processing power you may be able to really dial it in clean.
My issue has always been with staging...it was always bias left or right and I really don't like the idea of tuning for the drivers seat (which of course would solve my staging issue). I never embraced the idea of a stereo that only sounds good from one spot....it seemed the choice was generally either have it sound great at the drivers seat and not so great in any other seat...or...tune for the center and deal with an off-centered stage that sound pretty good all over.

For my taste (ears) having the center channel has already drastically improved my center imaging. I still have a loooong way to go tuning this beast but I can tell I'm really going to like the results.

I have family in town that weekend...doubtful that I'll make it to Sanford.

A bit of work on the subwoofer enclosure. Dual Audiomobile MASS series underhung 12's. Sealed, separate chamber, down-firing. Plexiglas windows and interior LED lighting. Pics:

e61zcp.jpg

5czih0.jpg

2637lea.jpg

2hn3t54.jpg

2gy38jk.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.