Novice needs help installing under seat subwoofer.

Participant count
  • Participant list

captainbobc

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 1948 International Harvester pickup resto-rod and I am struggling with installing a subwoofer 600W 10" Powered Car Under-Seat Subwoofer.
My Pyle PLIDF7 does not have a subwoofer outlet. It only has the 2 front and 2 rear speaker outlets.

In the front, I have 2 JL Audio C1-650 6-1/2" C1 Series 2-Way Component w/ tweeters and in the rear, 2 JL Audio C1-690 6" X 9" C1 Series 2-Way.
I want to install an under seat subwoofer that I already have. When connecting to on side of the rear speaker lines, it works fine by itself but if I try to include the other 6X9 to the same line the volume is seriously degraded.

My question is, how do I make these connections...do I need a small amp or is it just my wiring?

I appreciate all help since I am a complete novice.
Bob

I have a 1948 International Harvester pickup resto-rod and I am struggling with installing a subwoofer 600W 10" Powered Car Under-Seat Subwoofer.
My Pyle PLIDF7 does not have a subwoofer outlet. It only has the 2 front and 2 rear speaker outlets.

In the front, I have 2 JL Audio C1-650 6-1/2" C1 Series 2-Way Component w/ tweeters and in the rear, 2 JL Audio C1-690 6" X 9" C1 Series 2-Way.
I want to install an under seat subwoofer that I already have. When connecting to on side of the rear speaker lines, it works fine by itself but if I try to include the other 6X9 to the same line the volume is seriously degraded.

My question is, how do I make these connections...do I need a small amp or is it just my wiring?

I appreciate all help since I am a complete novice.
Bob
That unit only has two sets of rca’s. And if your speakers are wired to the Pyle unit younwont be able to use both the rcas and the speaker level inputs with great result.
Solutions from cheap to less cheap:
-Wire the Comp set to the front speaker level inputs although the internal amp on that deck is. It likely enough for that comp set, skip the rear speakers and put the powered sub rcas into the deck rear rca’s. Should result in some sound
- get a 4 channel amp with that specifically has an pre output like this below, you’ll need an amp wiring kit too though. Hopefully you have some tuning features on that powered sub. Performance may be impacted by quality of signal from receiver preouts (likely not great)
- scrap that deck and get a new one. A pioneer single din radio without a screen perhaps. It will have thee rca preouts including a designated sub channel, better signal, and better internal
Amplification for the Comp and coaxials
- new deck and an amp. Those c1’s are decent speakers and outclass all your other stuff by a lot. Would be good to give em power beyond headunit power.

It's hard for me to follow because I don't know the terminology. But, what I get from your great info is that I need an amp or I will not be able to power the sub and rear speakers from the Pyle unit. You are saying that I should connect the front speakers to the front rca plugs on the Pyle unit as usual. But add the amp for the rear two speakers and the under seat sub unit? The sub unit has an extended control knob I keep just under the seat.
I am stuck for now with the Pyle unit because I have a front and rear camera system that I run through the Pyle head. My truck has no front or rear bumper and sits low. I need to see the front to keep off curbs with the grille. The cab is small, so I don't need louder.

I get it now. Do you have a two din spot that you can put a 2din unit or is a single din all you have space for? They make plenty of better decks (better signal and sub frequency tuning) that can integrate cameras. skip the rear coaxials all together, it likely won’t benefit your soundstage. But me thinks a four channel amp with a preout is your shortest path to better than current

No room for a 2 din unit. That is why I selected the Pyle flip up screen and it had inputs for the cameras.
Again to understand, a 4 channel amp with subwoofer pre-out. I would connect the front and rear speaker outputs from the Pyle unit to the preamp, then there would be outlets for the front and rear speakers and also a place for the underseat subwoofer to connect L & R ? The saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks is pretty much true...I'm 74 and struggling with this..we had AM radios with one speaker when I was young. lol My son owns the 53 Chevy in the pic and has a custom $3000 setup that resembles the old face on his head unit. Mine will never sound like his but I can't hear as good anyway. ;-)

I really appreciate your help and patience. I understand the connections now. Is this amp different than the one you recommended on Amazon above? Or, is it the same? If not would you steer me in the right direction for an amp?
Thank you, Bob

My only question is why the International and not a Chevy pick up? Just kidding beautiful truck.

I had a '54 Chevy pick up that wasn't nearly as nice as yours that my Dad bought me the day he found out my mom was pregnant.

Traded it for a '75 trans am in '02 when I got my license.

haha, International pickup on a 96 Dodge Dakota chassis, 327ci Chevy engine with 5sp manual trans and posi rear. Quite a mix! Everyone else has a Chevy or Ford so...lol

Yeah my dad did the same thing kinda but in the '80s he swapped the body onto I believe a '72 Chevy pick up chasis for the brakes etc...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.