Note to self about gains.

Participant count
  • Participant list

digitalrainman
10+ year member

here
Ok im a happy person again. Lately i have been having my new amp overheat and shut off and i had slight hiss in my system. I had properly set my gains with a dmm and they were at 100w fronts, 400w sub, at 20 volume on the hu. After reading and reading everyone pointed to my gains being too high, and i kept blowing it off since i knew they were set accordingly.

Today i thought to myself, maybe they are, and realized one major flaw my hu was only at 20/35 power, since i just picked 20 randomly when i set my gains. This in turn caused me to have to turn the gain up alot higher to reach the desired output. Thus creating hiss, and i have yet to test it but possibly my overheating issue. So today i just set my gains at full volume and had to go about 1/3 with my fronts, and 1/2 with the sub as opposed to almost full on fronts, and 3/4 with sub. My hiss is gone completely, and my system sounds better actually.

So note to self, set gains at full volume on hu. I read on here to just set them at your normal listening volume so thats why i picked 20, well this will work on amps that are way over what you need, but i have found that if you are running spec, then full volume will help you from having to turn up the gain as much, even though the output is identical.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.