Not satisfied with setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

tsenfw
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Norwalk, CT
2000 Mustang

1 12" claw mag in 2cu ft box tuned to approx 32hz firing to the rear of trunk.

Directed audio d2400 (approx 1000-1200 watts at 1 ohm)

6.5" Pioneer rev's

US Amps IS2100

After recently installing my comps I've been kind of disappointed with my bass coming from the mag. For rock it sounds pretty good but rap doesn't sound as good. Like on tracks that have been posted in bass mix threads, the power is definitely there (you can feel your hair moving slightly and can feel the air pressure) but it doesn't sound too great on most tracks.

I've deadened my front doors but have not had a chance to do the trunk yet. I have some rattling that I need to get rid of. I guess I should deaden before I try to start diagnosing but was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

I always hear mags have great SQ. Does this only apply to newer generations of the model? Am I just expecting too much output out of and I'm putting too much power too it? Should I try facing the sub forward? The enclosure completely blocks the area where the seats fold down.

Also, when playing Late night trip, the sub doesn't seem to handle the really low hits too well. Like you can hear the sub working but the output is greatly reduced. Is this because the note is so low or could it be a huge drop off because it's below the tuning of my box? What's the lowest frequency hit on Late night trip?

2000 Mustang1 12" claw mag in 2cu ft box tuned to approx 32hz firing to the rear of trunk.

Directed audio d2400 (approx 1000-1200 watts at 1 ohm)

6.5" Pioneer rev's

US Amps IS2100

After recently installing my comps I've been kind of disappointed with my bass coming from the mag. For rock it sounds pretty good but rap doesn't sound as good. Like on tracks that have been posted in bass mix threads, the power is definitely there (you can feel your hair moving slightly and can feel the air pressure) but it doesn't sound too great on most tracks.

I've deadened my front doors but have not had a chance to do the trunk yet. I have some rattling that I need to get rid of. I guess I should deaden before I try to start diagnosing but was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

I always hear mags have great SQ. Does this only apply to newer generations of the model? Am I just expecting too much output out of and I'm putting too much power too it? Should I try facing the sub forward? The enclosure completely blocks the area where the seats fold down.

Also, when playing Late night trip, the sub doesn't seem to handle the really low hits too well. Like you can hear the sub working but the output is greatly reduced. Is this because the note is so low or could it be a huge drop off because it's below the tuning of my box? What's the lowest frequency hit on Late night trip?
alot of people have issues picking up the lows in late night tip...make sure you are wired correctly(resistance) and the amp is set correctly...you may have a subsonic filter set to high

Pretty sure it's off but yeah GOOD IDEA, I'll double check that. So forward firing might be louder? Everyone says rear firing is usually louder in trunk cars.

Hhahah I typed late night trip lolz. Didn't mean to make a noob comment like "everybody says," more like "on average."

I'll have to try 1 thing at a time. I want to know exactly is causing the problem.

Yeah, need to try facing towards the front if it is rear firing and blocking the bass from coming in. Those claw mags have sounded good from the 2 setups I heard a while ago. I almost picked up one, but went a different route. Good luck!

Also check to see if your sub is wired out of phase with your midbass up front, this could cause cancellation and make bass sound weird, just flip pos and neg going to sub and give it a listen. Coudl be night and day difference or very subtle, also face your sub around in the trunk, fire it at the side or through the seats into the cab.

best of luck to you, you have a very nice subwoofer and setup.

is your port big enough to handle the air the sub is pushing out? How good was the box construction as far a bracing and rounding off corners? all of that plays a factor. Also you need to deaden the trunk, doing the roof won't hurt either. You want to make sure you're getting as much usable sound to your ears as possible and rattles aren't usable sound

is your port big enough to handle the air the sub is pushing out? How good was the box construction as far a bracing and rounding off corners? all of that plays a factor. Also you need to deaden the trunk, doing the roof won't hurt either. You want to make sure you're getting as much usable sound to your ears as possible and rattles aren't usable sound
is deadener good for limiting flex in roofs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.