Not Impressed with Kicker Comp-R's.

Look a lot of you are saying user error so let me try to explain my whole setup top to bottom, as I truly don't believe that it's something I'm doing wrong. I'm no pro in car audio but I had systems now for 6 years and I feel like I have a decent enough understanding now. Anyway here goes
Amp(1200 watt rms@2ohms): Gain was a quarter of the way up. The volume on my head unit was at 50 out of 61(normal listening volume is 41). Turned gain up as high as I could to where I didn't hear clipping. Bass boost was at 1 and frequency set to 80hz. The amp has a subsonic filter fixed at 25 hz.

Sub/Box setup: Dual 4 ohm CompR. Final impedance was 2 ohms.

Wiring: 4 Gauge power wire to 3 farad CAP to amp. (Haven't done the big 3 yet)

Head Unit Settings: All "loud" and bass boost settings turned off, my sub level turned up to 3 out of 6 and frequency set to 80hz.

And if anyone cares, my rca's are run on opposites sides of the car from my power wire. The only thing that seems out of place to me is the pre-fabbed box. Is there anything I left out?

EDIT: I would also like to note that when these things blow, they freaking blow with no warning. I didn't smell any early signs of them getting hot or anything. They become COMPLETELY seized. You can't move them with your hand at all. Only after the fact did I smell anything.
Here's some more questions:

How long were you playing the system before the subs gave out?

What songs were you playing?

Where did you get the songs from?

Did you hear them bottom out at all? Better yet, take some pictures, especially of the coil. From your description, you didn't set things too wrong, but I'm sure the coil says otherwise.
I had my ear to the sub while my friend controlled the volume while doing the actual tuning. I realize it's not the best way to to about it but I didn't hear it bottoming out or clipping. I will definitely take some pics. I'm sure the coil came unraveled to say the least.

Here's some more questions:
How long were you playing the system before the subs gave out?

What songs were you playing?

Where did you get the songs from?
The two songs I was playing when they blew was "Put On" by Young Jeezy and "Swing my Door". I get all of my songs from Itunes. I had been playing my system for about 30 minutes, but it wasn't at a loud volume for even half of that.

I had my ear to the sub while my friend controlled the volume while doing the actual tuning. I realize it's not the best way to to about it but I didn't hear it bottoming out or clipping. I will definitely take some pics. I'm sure the coil came unraveled to say the least.

The two songs I was playing when they blew was "Put On" by Young Jeezy and "Swing my Door". I get all of my songs from Itunes. I had been playing my system for about 30 minutes, but it wasn't at a loud volume for even half of that.
The song Put on drops to 27 hz which could easily be way too low for your enclosure.

Where did you get the pre fab from?

The song Put on drops to 27 hz which could easily be way too low for your enclosure.
Where did you get the pre fab from?
I got it at a local car audio shop called soundstage. I suppose I could talk to them about the specs of the box I purchased from them.

I don't think the subs are the problem either. Sounds like they were either being clipped to their death or the box isn't right for the subs and they could of been flapping, and bottomed out. It's hard to hear some things when your up in the driver seat playing them and going for that little bit more. I'm no expert but kicker isn't that ******! Should be able to bang them for a long time on that amp. GL

Burnt / opened voice coils is and has always been considered abuse no matter how it happened (overpowered, clipping ,etc.)

But, a 1200 wrms amplifier on a single subwoofer with a cheap 2" china voice coil with very little to no cooling it really shouldn't be a suprise that you melted the coils out of them

I've ran a lot of Kicker equipment over the years from the round Solobarics to the L7's (never ran a Solo X). I've never had an issue with blowing them. For the most part they help up to the abuse pretty good. I see kids all over the place beating the holy Hell out of some Kicker Comps in their cars all the time. Kicker isn't the problem... OP needs to learn how to set his gains. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bawling.gif.6287aa5d1d447c8af063fc9466e822ef.gif

Sub/Box setup: Dual 4 ohm CompR. Final impedance was 2 ohms..
umm curious on how the final independence is 2 ohma?

thought with dvc 4 ohm subs the possible wiring configurations were a final ohm load of 1 or 4 ohms...... could be wrong though.

if this is the case dont see how your running the amp at 2 ohms.

umm curious on how the final independence is 2 ohma?thought with dvc 4 ohm subs the possible wiring configurations were a final ohm load of 1 or 4 ohms...... could be wrong though.

if this is the case dont see how your running the amp at 2 ohms.
He has 1 sub. He can either wire it to 2 ohms or 8 ohms for a DVC 4

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.