Noobish question - blown sub?

low00ranger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
USA
I've been playing with DD 1008's in my truck... installed 3 ported with a Brutus 1606d almost 2 years ago and beat the hell out of it for a year or so before I stopped driving my truck and never had a problem. I got a 4th 1008 used a few months back and just this last week got around to building a new box for the 4 8s, still using the 1606d. The 4th sub looked fine visually and read 4 ohms. Got it all in tonite and went driving for a good listen.

1 Jeezy song with higher bass and it sounds great. Go to a classic Bass Mekanik song with lower bass and it sounds phenomal for 20 secs and output goes way way down. It suddenly sounds like someone punching a paper sack. So I turn it down real fast, smell around - no bad smells. I turn it up so I can barely hear it a couple times and make sure it still sounds like crap. When I get home I shut it all down and get the DMM to check resistance across the speaker outputs, it reads 1 ohm perfectly. So the amps not hot and everything looks to be in place, is it possible one of the subs(the newest one I never used) is blown? I usually hear that when subs are blown the resistance will be way off but that's not the case for the overall series and I never smelled anything bad. Maybe the spider got disconnected from the basket on one of the subs?

If you have a fuse at battery up front, check to see if it is not blown. The exact same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago and it was a blown fuse up by front battery.
Well I checked that this morning and the fuse looked good to me. I was hoping that was the problem but it doesn't look like it.

you could remove each speaker and give each speaker a test. it could be the amp itself.

if the noise was coming from all the speakers then it is possible that your amp just took a dump on you.

I plan on doing that tonight. I just hope I can narrow it down because I have very little experience with blown equipment. Its going to **** if the 4th sub is blown that I bought used here in August but never hooked up until now.

You say low bass song.

What is your box tuned too?

if its around 38 you could be bottoming out, those subs have way to large magnets for there size.

is the sound from one or all of the subs? if one, then maybe vc/cone separation.

if all, then I would point the finger toward the amp and or wiring issues.

I say lower bass but it wasn't that low. Probably high 30s or 40 even, my box is tuned to 37 Hz. I can tell when the subs are bottoming out and I pretty much know what songs to avoid - I ran a trio of these for at least a year with the same tuning without issue. I don't think I messed up anything by playing too low of a frequency.

I really couldn't tell if the sound was coming from one or all subs. I put my ear next to each sub with subs still in the box and couldn't single out any one sub. I'll just have to pull them out tonight. I hate pulling out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

I'm running a 150A ANL fuse over 0 gauge wire. The 1606 has 2 70A fuses and I run an Infinity 200w amp for my mids and highs. I have a spare 150A and a 200A fuse for my alt I can throw in just to confirm/eliminate that piece.

This may be getting too far ahead but what all would be involved with fixing a vc/cone separation? I'm sure I could get it fixed with DD but these subs are only worth about 100 each used and they're not made anymore. Maybe I could give it a shot myself or send it to someone here who is good with woofer repairs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.