Noob with Rainbow/Polk/BA questions

VeeRSixOh

Hi guys,

After going into BestBuy today to get some audio advice (and a quote) I decided to look around on the internet.

I'd like to point out that I am a bit of an audiophile, so I'm not looking for a very cheap but loud setup. I have a stock Harman/Kardon system in my bmw and I think it's pretty good, so I'd like something comparable for my Golf wagon (yeah, I know).

I believe the speaker size for my car is 6 1/2, though according to Crutchfield they are 6 3/4. hmmm.

I've more or less decided that I'd like to look into the SLC 265's. I've been told by the guys at bavarian sound werks to go with the IQ lines up front and with the SL's in the rear... why is that?

I will need 6 speakers since this is a wagon, so I'm not sure what kind of combination to go with. Also, what kind of amp should I be running? 4 Ohm? I'd also like a bass woofer for the rear, but again, I don't need anything that will knock the windows out or take up too much space... I'm not going for the dB competition here.

I'd also like a suggestion as to whether there is something comparable from Polk or Boston Acoustics or if it's best to stick with Rainbow.

The headunit in the car will be an Audi Chorus radio from the TT since the car has a complete TT dash.

I'll be doing my own research into the matter, so I'm not expecting all the info handed to me on a platter.. I'm just looking for some pointers to guide me in the right direction. I've focused on the mechanical aspect of the car, now I'd like to slowly focus on the audio.

Thanks in advance! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you are really an audiophile or even lean that way, one pair of good speakers up front with decent amplification and a sub or two are what you are going to want. Trying to get 2 pairs of speakers to sound right is a challenge without a dedicated surround setup, 3 sets is an exercise in futility.

Helo tells the truth. but if you are worried about the passengers in the rear having decent sound, some decent coax's will work fine, I would try to direct them towards the rear to lessen the effect on the front stage. The slc are a nice mix of budget and sound, the germs are the shot if your trying to stay reasonable with the money side of things. There are actually some SLC 265's in the classifieds now, and if you want to stay with rainbow there is a profi 12" there also.

I personally love the rainbows, but the other brands you mentioned are no slouches either.

but my vote is rainbow.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I wasn't aware that it was best to stick with better speaker up front and not worry so much about the rear.... I guess this is also good in terms of costs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If this is the case, then maybe I'll try to source some Germaniums for the front in the classifieds.. though I was just there and it seems you need to watch the ads like a hawk because things tend to move quickly.

Also, what kind of amp would be suitable for these speakers? I'm assuming it isn't really necessary to stick with the Rainbow brand for everything... so maybe something by JBL or RFosgate?

IDK, I just bought the SLC's because they have made some recent improvements -- CAL 25 tweets and more flexible crossovers. The woofer is paper which was the final factor in choosing them over the Germs. Food for thought.

A lot of good choices when it comes to amps. I like my JBL a lot, but it is fairly large. That is not a problem for me but it may be an issue with a BMW.

Shoot 6spdcoupe a PM, he can help you with the Rainbows and maybe the amps as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.