Noob With First Question.

maximpakt
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I am currently working on a system in my 1989 cadillac fleetwood hearse. I have done a lot of systems in the past but this will be my first large enough to require system upgrades. Obviously I am aware that I need to do the big three and plan to eventually get a HO alternator. I just ordered a spool of kicker 1/0 hyperflex. So now for some questions. I am using 4 15" kicker solobaric L7's They will all be in individual sealed boxes. Kicker says they can be in anywhere from 1.5 to 6 cu ft. One local shop told me for optimum performance the bigger the better to go the full 6 cubes, another shop said the kicker rep was standing there and said that was way too big, to go 3 to 3.5 what are your opinions on this? Next electrical. With all amps I will have roughly 8000 watts total. Ray at batcaps suggested I need 3 model 2000 batcaps. Local shop suggested 3 yellowtops and a 10 farad cap so opinions on this please? Also I see many on here say when running to the back batteries run positive and ground to front, batcaps just show positive to front, ground to chassis, is there any difference here in how it works out? Thank you and im sure ill be posting much more as this project goes on.

ditch the capacitor for sure, I really don't like kickers sealed personally. And I hope you running all the same kind of amps.

Yea kickers arent the best sealed sub. However ditch the cap. Having mutiple batteries and a cap makes no sense to me. Explore some other subs for sealed in my opnion.

Right now I have 2 of the subs, still have to get the other 2. The 2 I bought came with a power acoustik 3000 db to power them. I have a kicker 600.1 I was going to drive one of the others with and a crunch 2400vu I was going to use on the other till I got something better. Do you think getting another PA 3000 db to drive the other pair would be a better way to go?

ditch the capacitor for sure, I really don't like kickers sealed personally. And I hope you running all the same kind of amps.

Guess everyones experiences are different. My buddy had 4 kicker comps in ported boxes and when he sealed the port it hit much harder. I know from the box a shop built for my mustang that ported can be great, but sealed seems to be a lot more forgiving as you need to get the ports just right. Im not looking to be a serious competitor anyway perhaps a few local sound off's but mostly ill be at hearse shows and halloween events.

bro, get some ported boxes i had some L5s sealed got them ported they hit alot better

And another question, do I need to fuse the power run from front to back or just fuse after the last yellowtop before the amps? And now that weve established that the first yellowtop is hooked power to front grounded to chasis all the other yellowtops just run in line power and ground connected to the one before it right? And I can pull amp power off all three yellow tops just trying to come as close as I can to an even load draw off each?

2-battery-drawing.jpg

If you guys want stuff like this drawn for a sticky, it took me less than 5 mins to make that. I am usually bored at work all day long and can make stuff like that no problem. Feel free to PM me if you want something specific drawn so a 5 yr old could read it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.