Noob needs help. dodge ram quad cab

Johnnyg

ok here goes. and you can be critical. i have thick skin. i currently have the thunderform with 2 mtx 10s and they are pushed by a zx 400.1. i have had this setup for about 3 years and only got it because i was helping out a friend that needed money at the time. i have been searching high and low for subs that would work by just dropping them in....until i found this site. apparently the box is really not that well built and i could go other ways for what i want. i want SPL for my dubstep and house tracks. the current setup has worked well for me because it was normally playing country and rock with less of the other stuff. but the more i listen to it the more it takes me back to the days of having 4 punch dvcs in the trunk of an 85 buick lesabre. i can build anything out of wood but have never used fiberglass. i am willing to try anything though. i hear the down firing center console might be a better option for 1 sub than 2 under the rear seats. i have looked at a ton of subs, ssa dc arc boston and everything else. i was about ready to pull the trigger on the type rs and just put an alpine m110 to them but again the i just want to know i spent my 600 bucks the right way. this is getting long winded so i will stop there for now. i am open to suggestions. and yes i looked at all the dodge ram builds here.

i should add that i have been lurking around for a while now. i know there are a lot of knowledgeable people runnin around. which is why i finally decided to post. i really cant post on things i dont know since the last time i messed with audio was about 15 yrs ago.

Nice to see another Dodge guy wif the quad cab! @Joseph7195 ; has a sweet SQ build going in his, and I am just getting ready to fiberglass enclosures for under the rear seat in mine. @JoshC ; has a single cab, and there are a couple more guys, I think.

So little room to work with under the rear seats that even 1/2 MDF was out of the question for me, and I just didn't want to go with any preformed enclosures. Thought about the center console build, but decided I'd rather have 2 smaller subs vs/ 1 larger one.

Arrrghs are okay, but I think that there are better options out there for you, depending on what you're looking for out of your system.
Is your goal SPL or SQ(L) ?
How much are you willing to invest to get where you want to be? How much powah you wanting to run to subs+front stage?
The more info you can give , the better help/suggestions you'll be able to get....

What year dodge is it?

None of thoughs trucks really have any space under the seat, unless u have somthing before 04. I would suggest folding down the rear passenger seat(single seat right behind you) and putting a single good 12 back there. Like an SSA GCON, in a good ported box. Ull be really suprised how loud it will get, im running an single obsidian 12 of 1Krms. Shakes the entire truck, my gf can hear me 3-4 blocks away when i pick her up from work. its an 08 single cab 1500

Although i have heard several 12 and 15 center consol ported boxes that did great too. My builder used to have a L7 15 in the center of his 97 F150, he did low 40s on 1K

thanks for the replies already guys. i have an 04 and am looking to spend around 600. i am looking for SPL now. i want something that i can run off of an 1100W amp. be it 1 or 2 subs. if i got a good "how to" on a fiberglass enclosure under the seat i would definitely try it. my job allows me to have all kinds of free time so i dont mind building stuff. the amp i have for the highs is just an mb quart onyx 80.4. already have the amp rack built for the rear wall. keep em coming. i am in no hurry since i do have something but i would like to get on the ordering soon. i also have a shop that has sundown equipment so i might stop by there but i know how some shops can be about just selling you what they have. that is why i wanted opinions on here.

if you raise the rear seat ,it will give you a bit more space.i've personally raised some as high as 4".just try to keep the rear seat under the rear window line and you'll be good then you can build a box firing forward with 2 10's or 12s ported .just need some longer bolts and some kind of block to go under the seats to raise them .

How about a single 12 on one of your rear seats? Just sitting on top of the seat with the amp mounted under the seats..

You only give up 1 seat (can still fit 2 in the back)

And if you really need to get that extra seat one day, simply unhook the wires coming from the box and toss it in the bed / garage. Takes less than 5 seconds

This is how I did it in my QC dakota (even less room).. its really the only way to get real bass. Its so easy to remove a single 12, plus i never rolled with 4-5 people in my truck anyway. Notta once

I am here!!! I got tied up (literally) bangin my old lady, @Flex68 ; he knows I need that welfare money. He has the the best experience with building a fiberglass enclosures and how to get proper enclosure volumes. I have experience with the center console fabrication. The center console only gives you about an inch in clearance for downfiring subs, if you are gonna use the original mounting tabs. You can always use spacers to get a better clearance for longer throw subs (for the low lows). But beware, in order to keep the height of the enclosure correct to use it as a functioning armrest, you can't have a box much taller than 10.5" from the tops of the mounting tabs.

I love my enclosure and where it's located (center console) I can get very good sub staging in the dash for SQ comps, and You can usually get around 1.5 to 2 cubes of airspace (if you want to make a weird box that's taller in the back, you can get more) There are so many options, but like what was said earlier, you needs can be met with proper expectations and lots of information

You can see you don't have much forward room to move the enclosure unless you don't mind the cupholders being non-functional.

Cadencefisnishedpart1030.jpg

Cadencefisnishedpart1031.jpg

I could have moved the box to the rear seat and completely took out seating for the leg room in the middle seat, but opted to keep it functional.

Cadencefisnishedpart1035.jpg

Cadencefisnishedpart1033.jpg

This all depends on what you want and what you are willing to give up, or compromise with. Depending on your expected results, you can change about any factor needed to accommodate the enclosure that will fit your needs. I would definitely contact a designer on this forum who has experience with building these enclosures. They are very finicky and output is ruined with incorrect specs and lack of communications with the designer. To obtain what you want, you will need to as specific as possible with your wants, and want not's.

I'm mostly after sq but I love my bass so I took out the storage compartment wall and had a buddy build me a box to Spec for 4 10 w3s running a 1000/1v2 downfiring and i like it a lot

It's good bass and still under the seats I did raise the seat about 1/2"

I am though changin it up and taking the subs out and goin with a center console box with a Dad bd 10" or something along that line

Here are a few pics

0ba2a8ba.jpg

fa53a058.jpg

wow those are some great ideas. the more i look the more i realize i can get into some deep pocket stuff. i even have to look into components now since all i have are 3 way 6x9s in front and some cheapies in the rear doors. this can turn into an expensive project. but i love sounds so i am going to get my stuff together and figure it out. been creepin this sight for all kinds of tweeter mount positions and good sets of comps to go with. thanks for the replies.

It doesn't have to be expensive, I think with the design form Mobile Enclosure, the wood (ha ha) and the carpet, the enclosure set me back about $50. Very reasonable. Most of an install is the installation. The equipment can be great, and do a bad install, and ruin things. Also applies if you have just basic equipment and do an amazing install (not cutting corners and taking your time and doing it right) and you can can an amazing install.

I hope these suggestions sit with you well, and I hope you get some usable ideas out of them!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.