No Sound from Aftermarket System

Participant count
  • Participant list

bobjimjoe3

I was installing an aftermarket Pinoeer system in a 2001 Civic for a friend. I've installed car stereos before, so I bought the wiring adapter, wired it up, tested it, and it worked fine. I adjusted the fade/balance to check all of the speakers, and it all seemed good. I turned the car off and snapped everything back into place (I didn't want to snap it all back in until I knew it was working) she came out to see it, so I turned it back on and got no sound. The unit turns on, but nothing comes from the radio or CD player. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the wiring to see if anything is loose, but I wanted to see if it might be another problem first. I used wire caps for all of the wiring, and made sure each was tight, so I don't think it came undone, but it's possible. I didn't connect all of the wires since I don't believe I needed to, but I did connect ignition, battery, ground, and + - for all the speakers. I'd assume if I left any important connections out, I wouldn't have gotten sound when I first turned it on. I looked around to see if there was an answer and this is what I've been able to come up with:

1) A speaker wire is loose either at the unit or near the speaker.

- This could be a possibility, especially because I believe that the factory stereo wasn't working, but wouldn't that just affect the one speaker, and not all of them. I'm not positive the factory stereo wasn't working, but I think that's why she wanted it replaced.

2) Another wire is loose.

- Again, a possibility, but if it's not a speaker wire, wouldn't the unit not turn on?

3) She bought the aftermarket stereo used, so there could be a problem with it.

I'm just confused because everything worked well and sounded great before I snapped the unit back in, and put the screws back in the bottom of the assembly (behind the "cigarette lighter" panel). The unit still gets power and nothing else seems wrong, just no sound. Can anyone one help with what might be wrong, or at least rule out some possibilities?

Thanks!

Kyle

sounds like when you put the radio back in, it pinched a speaker wire shorting it to ground. my bet is that as soon as you pull the radio back out, the sound will come back. also, i see your looking for a sub amp. how much are you looking to spend?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.