No sound after install on 94 explorer. HU problem or factory amp?

Hockyeyd214
10+ year member

Krew Kustoms
San Ho
Hey,

I just installed a newer alpine deck into my buddies 94 explorer w/ premium sound. The head unit turns on fine but NO sound, not even static out of the speakers. I double checked all the connections and everything is hooked up fine. Is the head units internal amp bad or is there a factory amp that needs to be disconnected/bypassed for it to work.

Also, He had an aftermarket stereo (really old Aiwa) installed and it worked fine but he was just looking for an upgrade.

Please any help?

Its the internal amp in the headunit most likely or at least in my 9856 it needs to be turned on.
Have you tried that yet? That could very well explain it. Find the area of the menu to turn the internal amp on/off...its probably labeled as INT or PWR.

Could also be a bad speaker/speaker grounding out.

Not sure how the Alpines work, but I know some radios will go into protect if there is a speaker grounding out.

If the factory speaker connections behind the head unit are in a small, square plug, then there's a factory amp. If they're in a broad, flat black plug, there's no amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.