No More DIN / Double DIN Slots Any More

Participant count
  • Participant list

Concert D Major

USA
It seems like pretty much all new vehicles now have the radio integrated into a screen instead of having a DIN or Double DIN slot. So am I correct in assuming you basically can't upgrade head units in new cars any more? How are we supposed to get something better than the factory radio?

It seems like pretty much all new vehicles now have the radio integrated into a screen instead of having a DIN or Double DIN slot. So am I correct in assuming you basically can't upgrade head units in new cars any more? How are we supposed to get something better than the factory radio?
Externally mount a 2nd unit and fully bypass the stock unit.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Yea it ***** that they are getting rid of the din slots these days. If you bypass the stock unit, that would probably mean you can't use your integrated stuff and have to mount it in some obscure place. I wouldn't wanna do anything like that on a new car. I think the only real solution is to get a DSP and still be able to have stock controls and such. You can get a cheap LOC but it's just not as good. I would still rather have an aftermarket headunit though if I had the choice.

You will now have to pay 2k plus for something like the alpine x009 in the newer gm trucks. I'm sure pioneer is working on something similar

Oh yea I totally forgot Alpine is working on OEM style kits for many of the popular new cars. I didn't know they make custom fit units that are vehicle specific though. Very clean look. Pretty overpriced but paying for upgraded OEM sound system is not worth it IMO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.