No fleece needed?

Jon89LE

NY
Ive been browsing around here for the past week since i need to make a rear deck for my car to house my two 6x9s. I went to purchase the resin and glass today from a West Marine thats down here. I got a roll of 6oz cloth since thats the only weight they had. At the place however, one of the reps tryed to convince me that the fleece wasnt needed. He said i should just soak the cloth i have with resin and stretch that over everything (as you would with the fleece). He said the fleece would sag with the resin. Any of that true? If i got a polyester/cotton blend fleece i didnt think it would cause an issue. Also, since i purchased the cloth, would it be best to lay the cloth on the resin entirely, or would it be better to cut the cloth up into smaller pieces, soak them, and lay them down? Thanks for the help.

you don't necessarily have to use fleece on a fiberglass box... any stretchy material will do as long as you attacht it to the mold and speaker baffle's good.

Alright, but is it ok to not use a fleece (or useable material) and just start out by putting the dry glass cloth over the wooden frame?

Alright, but is it ok to not use a fleece (or useable material) and just start out by putting the dry glass cloth over the wooden frame?
Not a good way to even try, you use the stretch material to get your shape and make it a ton easier to glass. Fleece is cheap anyways, why bother not doing it?

Ok, just wanted to add some truth inspite of what the "fiberglass guy" said. With regard to the cloth, would it be better to cut it up in pieces or lay the sheet of cloth down as a whole?

do yourself a favor, and take the rear deck totally apart and out. then decide how this is gonna work. thinking about how you are going to do it makes it ALOT eaiser in the long run.

pics would be very nice.

you don't necessarily have to use fleece on a fiberglass box... any stretchy material will do as long as you attacht it to the mold and speaker baffle's good.

Dood! I am sorry. Really, but I have thought this every single time I seen you post. FOr like 3 or 4 months now I have seen you posting and I have to say that pic. is HIDEOUS! Not trying to cut you down hard and say you are one ugly dude, but that is just a not very good picture. lol I am sure you could present your self alot better with a little more class then that. Does that smoke give you your mad mystical fiberglass skills?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.