Carpeting

i have a question to .. i see how they did that peice of wood but if ur doing a box and u have to glue the sides of the wood together and stuff what would u do? bc i dont think u can cover the face of the box panel then have it come onto the back which would be in the bow......so then how would u cover the ur whole box??? sorry if i didnt explain that clearly

i have a question to .. i see how they did that peice of wood but if ur doing a box and u have to glue the sides of the wood together and stuff what would u do? bc i dont think u can cover the face of the box panel then have it come onto the back which would be in the bow......so then how would u cover the ur whole box??? sorry if i didnt explain that clearly

I understand you may have gotten confused by that. I wasnt trying to show you that in how to carpet your box by carpeting each individual piece. That guy actually does it different then me, but yet similar...... THat was only to show the concept, not to caprpet each piece then assemble the box. that would be booty. Instead build your box....

roll out your carpet so that you can roll your box up in it like a roll of tape (well somthing like that.

begin the carpeting by placing the box down on the carpet with the backing of the carpet facing up. put the very end of the carpet so that it will adhere to the bottom of the box centered. OYu wnat the edge of the carpet to be about center so that you see half the bottom covered in carpet and half the MDF...........

glue it by using 3M spray adhesive.... spray the carpet that you are ready to aply, then the box area that is about to be covered. let the glue tack up a bit then firmly rub the carpet into place.

Now that the bottom of the box is started, continue with the box all the way arround until you get back to the bottom again. cut the carpet so that it overlaps about an inch over the begining of the carpet... Adhere it all down and using a razor and straight edge, sut the carpet (cutting both pieces at overlap) and remove the bottom piece. The two ends should meet perfect.....

Now you need to do the ends of the box.

At the corners, crease the corners so that the corners of the box extend out with the excess carpet. now with a pair of scissors cut on that crease, and fold two of the ends in..... seal the pieces in and cut the two overlapping pieces like you did the bottom. remove the bottom piece. Now with the other two, stretch one taught, and over the surface, and use a straight edge to cut from the center to corner. removing the under pieces and adhering the top pieces..... you should now have a completely covered box. I hope this helps. I am not very good at explaining what I am trying to say.

i've also read you can carpet your box like so... lay your carpet out and wrap it around the box completly... do your cut on the bottom and glue/staple/however you want to secure the carpet 2 your box... trim the edges and staple/glue them to the ends... cut a piece of wood to the same shape and size as your sides... carpet that piece as in that tutorial in the link above... hold that to the end of your box... drill a few screws through that piece from the inside of the box to secure it to the ends...i haven't done it myself... but seems a little easier than cutting it perfectly so the seams fit together

wrap it like youd wrap a christmas present.

then when you 'fold' the sides, instead of stapling them down, slice on the seams with an X shape, and cut thru all the layers.

its kinda tricky- and you needa REALLY sharp knife to get it perfect. maybe ill do pictures of the process.

once u cut it and glue it down is it visible that theres a cut there?
No! that is the whole idea. We hate booty looking installs. we wouldnt incourage you to do somthing that would look like ass. experiment on a scrap and you will see what we mean. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

BigPimpin18

10+ year member
BigPimpin18
Seattle, WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from