Nissan Frontier Fox Acoustics Box Subwoofer Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

NYk20z388

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello i recently finished up my system but already have the itch for a potential upgrade, i will post the specs of the system and then explain what i am trying to do.

Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX
Focal ISU 690 6X9 component set - Front
Focal ISU 165 6-1/2 component set - Rear
Fox Acoustics custom box ported
Kicker Comp Q 10'' dual 2 ohm, wired to 1 ohm
Kicker CX800 Mono
Kicker CX360 4 channel
Big 3 1/0 upgrade
1/0 feed to a Stinger distribution block
Kicker Q Class rca cables, Stinger 14/12 gauge speaker wire throughout
Dynamat sound deadening

The box specs are 1.7 cubic feet and tuned to 36hz. The only issue is because its a custom box designed to sit under the rear seats the mounting depth is compromised. The Comp Q has performed well so far and is very musical but i would like to maximize every square inch that i can. The box has a cut out already marked for a 12'' sub and the mounting depth is 6.5'' so i would need something that meets those requirements. I found a Alpine Type R 12'' that fits but i feel like for the $ it should have a higher rms rating or maybe it can take more abuse so i would be okay. The Kicker CX800 dyno'ed at almost 875 watts so i know there is some breathing room on the table. I also considered just using a spacer to gain more mounting depth but that would push the sub up to high and would hit the bottom of the sit under excursion. Basically i am looking for the experts here to point me in the right direction, will the extra cone area and power handling make enough difference in performance to justify the upgrade ? I know i am limited to mounting depth space but perhaps there is the perfect sub out there you guys can recommend that would let me maximize what i have available.

As you can see they bored the bottom out for more depth but there is a plate there that covers the hole, its sealed with screws and glue so its a tight seal. The box overall is of extremely high quality.

Last edited:
A lot of 12s will do well in that box. Getting high rms power with 6.5 depth can be challenging, but I’m sure there are some good options. That’s really good box specs for a lot of 12s.

I just ordered a Dayton audio 12 for myself yesterday that I’m putting in 1.6 at 30 hz, but it would be just fine in 1.7 at 36 also. 6.25 mounting depth. Many good options with your enclosure.

I just ordered a Dayton audio 12 for myself yesterday that I’m putting in 1.6 at 30 hz, but it would be just fine in 1.7 at 36 also. 6.25 mounting depth. Many good options with your enclosure.
I'm extremely tempted to buy one of those to audition. It looks excellent for the price point. Please make a thread about this when you get yours.

As to OP, the Kicker Comp subs I've listened to in the past have all sounded great for what they are. and that box is a very good volume to really get good efficiency and performance out of a 10" driver. I can't think of anything that would be a significant upgrade for you if you couldn't find another .75 cubic feet of airspace + a little more port area to go with it. IF you had more mounting depth there's probably a few 1500W capable 10s that would be an upgrade in your box but mounting depth is usually a punishing limitation in most pickup truck type applications.

Even perfect world 50% more cone area (the difference between 10 and 12" driver) will only give you about 1 click on the volume knob more output so factor that in before you start throwing a bunch of money at trying to shoehorn too much sub into too small of a box.

The sa-12 classic has a small pole vent, but if you have a little clearance under there, it should be fine. That sub will do well in 1.5-2.0 cubes net, and will do fine at that tuning to. I've done some really shallow boxes with sa-12's, they perform well. One was in the spare tire hole of a 90's Civic @ 35 hz, it worked very well. It'll take that Kicker almost certainly, as long as it's clean. The only issue would maybe be port area, but I think it would still work fairly well.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...