Newb AMP question

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm hoping you guys can enlighten me...

okay so I'm buying (hopefully) an amp from this guy but something isn't adding up... He has a 5000/1 that he SAID retailed for $1200 and he'd let it go for $500 but on top of that he said he'd take a trade for my Alpine PDX 1000.1 and my Alpine M2000... so far so good but this is where it gets sketchy - the amp is (allegedly) an SSL force ... not knowing what kind of reputation SSL had I agreed to the trade (but we haven't actually exchanged anything yet) and went home and looked it up and the most expensive one I can find is like $260... So there are 2 scenarios in which I'm not getting boned here.

1.) SSL wasn't always cheap and once made a quality amp, which IS possible because this guy is in his 50's and REALLY knows his *****. I'm pretty sure (not positive cause he rambles like a mofo) he said the amp is like 10 years old..

2.) its NOT actually an SSL force, which isn't likely but he never actually said sound storm but my girlfriend who was with me said that she seen "SSL" and heard him say force. And I never really got a good look at it.

Now like I said, this guy seems really straight forward and seems to know A LOT about car audio. From what I understand he's pretty well known in the twin cities area and has helped a lot of people so it really doesn't seem like he's trying to screw me but when I seen the $260 price tag on the net my stomach dropped... so did SSL make quality amps in the past? is there another 5000/1 with a similar name that retailed(s) in the $1200 range? I appreciate any input I can get

P.S. His name is Brad and I think he runs an audio club here in the twin cities, its called "RK" iirc

Thanks for the input guys but it turns out I'm not getting boned in the butt... after stressin about it all night last night, I called him earlier today and asked what brand it is (I basically just played dumb) and its a soundSTREAM!... and it being old would explain why I couldnt find a 5000W soundstream amp online.. so i AM getting a good deal and i'm NOT getting bent over and deflowered.. worry: on [off] excitement: [on] off

I'm not sure about the specs... the guy said its 10 years old and I don't know the exact model but I assume its similar to their more recent 6500/1... and I don't have the electrical to power it yet but I will by the time I install it... I'm kind of wiping out my system and starting from scratch

I'm not sure about the specs... the guy said its 10 years old and I don't know the exact model but I assume its similar to their more recent 6500/1... and I don't have the electrical to power it yet but I will by the time I install it... I'm kind of wiping out my system and starting from scratch
If its that old and a real 5000 RMS amp its going to **** your battery dry with a quickness

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.