new type r's aren't that loud..is it the cd player?

Participant count
  • Participant list

TrickeffeX
10+ year member

my g/f has a 2003 nissan altima.yesterday i bought her a pair of the new alpine type R 12's with a 1cu.ft per sub sealed box.i also gave her my hifonics brutus 1505d that i wasn't using.i got a good friend of mine that owns a stereo shop to hook it up today.the subs are loud,but it just seems like they should be louder.the car has the stock cd player,so we just used a line output convertor for the rcas.the amp gain setting had to be turned on to max for the subs to sound pretty good.i know that the subs aren't broken in yet,but i am thinking that it could just be that since i'm using a lineoutput convertor,it may not have a high enough voltage for the output.what do you guys think?

charles

lets seeee

first of all its a small sealed box..

they **** sealed for output IMO

second, they arent getting the power that i would recommend.. that amp is giving maybe 500-600 rms to each sub if your voltage is constant at 14.4

third, make sure he hooked them up in parallel, cause pro shops (around here anyway) have a stupid habit of hooking everything up in series.

get a line driver.........boost up that loc signal....i had that problem cause i was in the same situation......

i was getin a 1 volt signal......u are prollly in that area there....then u can take it easy on the gains on the amp that way

first,

port them in 2.0-2.5 cubes each, tuned to between 27-34 hz and check the wiring, if you are not happy then, i would opt for the new amp (up to 1200 rms a sub maybe if you know what youre doing)

EDIT: yeah a line driver could help too, but i dont think it would help enough without lookign to other variables first

thats what gains are for though, to match up to your voltage into the amp.. boosting voltage and rematching gains doesnt make the amp put out more power, and it actually doesnt make that much of a difference with distortion either iirc

hey guys thanks for the replys.i chose going with the smaller sealed box becuase my g/f wanted to keep most of the space in the trunk.with this 1cu.ft per sub sealed box,it doesn't take up a lot of space.i've got a cd player that i'm gonna try to put in it when i get backhome from work(OFFSHORE)in 2weeks.it sounds really really good except for an annoying rattle of the rear deck when the rear seats are folded up,which i'm gonna fix when i get back as well.i bought the subs through a friends shop for $130 a piece and the box for $30,so i didn't expect it to be as loud as a xxx or anything but i was just figuring that they should be louder than what they are.i know the type r's get hella loud ported cuz i built a box for a friend with 2 type r 12's(older model)and they were pretty loud.thanks guys for the help tho.

charles

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.