New to the forum and to all this car audio stuff.

Participant count
  • Participant list

ecajberry

Refused to grow up
I have a 2003 Ford F-250 Super Crew Cab, and want to make it into a mini concert hall so I........

just had the head unit replaced, and next week the speakers will be replaced as well.

Head Unit = Kenwood KDC-MPV5025

Speaker I am considering are = rear - Rockford FRC-4368 3 ways

front - Rockford HPC-2268 2 ways

I am taking my local stereo outlet for some cool deals since they have an internet price guarantee.

I am also considering some tweeters for the front pillers ( Kenwood KFC-ST30), but have not made that decision until I hear how much highs I get from the 3 ways.

For the Subwoofer enclosure I am planning on getting the Q-Logic rear center floor enclosure, (looks like a center console with cup holders) a 10" sub (Rockford RFP-4410), and to top this all off, a 600 +/- watt 4 channel amp. (looking to spend about 150 bucks) Mind you, I am NOT building this for any type of sound contest, nore do I care for the neighborhood to hear me coming 2 miles away. It will seldom be turned up beyond a comfy listening level, (loud to some I'm sure hahaha) but I do want very solid sound reproduction, and that which is crisp and clean.

I think this set up will serve me well, considering everything, and the placement of the different components. To me, I think it will mix up the highs, mids, and lows very well in my crewcab concert hall.

With all this said, How much hassle is it to install the amp and run the wires without looking like some hack job??? Local stores want 45 - 50 bucks an hour and claim it will take 6-8 hours to install........well, that is more then I am willing to swallow. I have never done this kind of thing before so I dont know if I'm getting in over my head or not. ANY help would be much appreciated, as well as suggestions for other brand speakers, amps or whatever.

Well, I've never hooked up regular speakers & amps before, but I have hooked up subs & amps, and that's not too hard. I imagine it shouldn't be that hard to do the speakers either. Those who have installed speakers before - do you just take out the old speaker and connect the wire to your new speaker? I would think that's it. Anyways, hooking up your subs is pretty easy.

You take your power wire and connect it to the positive terminal on your battery. Then you find somewhere you can run it back to your amp (preferrably through your firewall). The thing that will take the most time is figuring out how you want to hide the wires. You may want to take our your seat and possibly get it under the carpet...there are several options. Then for the ground, you run it from your amp to, preferrable, your chassis. What I did was drill a hole through my chassis, sand it down to get the paint off, and then slip a bolt through, with my ground wire attached, and fasten a nut on to the underside. Then all you have left is your RCA cables and your remote wire, which signals your amp to turn on when your head unit turns on. Simply take out your head unit far enough so that you can reach the back of it. Then plug your RCA cables in to your set of RCA outs - possibly only one set, or there may even be a set labeled subwoofers - not familar with your head unit. Also, you need to splice your remote 'turn-on' wire into the one that goes to your head unit. I think it's the same color, maybe light blue or something, not sure. After that though, you're pretty much done. Just run the speaker wire to your sub and you should be set.

And at the worst, if there's more to the speaker install than I guessed, you could atleast install the sub & amp, then maybe have them do the speakers if there is more difficulty. Ask us all the questions you need to, we can help a bunch. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.