new to components, need help

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrjoeyjiffy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So before I had a set of 2 ways by infiniti and I just had the gain set at what look like a matched voltage of the head unit. I recently got some RD alphav2 comps and I want to make sure I get the most out of them.

I am told the best way to set the gains properly is to set the volume of the HU at 75% and turn the gain up til you hear the slightest bit of distortion, then back off a bit. However I never seem to get distortion with these no matter where the gain is set. They sound a bit tinny and I'm having a hard time getting them to sound the way I want too, is it common for a stereo shop to do some tuning for a customer for a nominal fee? I had a buddy install the speakers and my tahoe had stock components so he just used those spots for the mid and tweeter, although i just looked at the tweeter through the screen on the door and noticed it was pointed at my feet, could that be whats making it hard to distinguish what sounds good and what doesnt?

You could use the search function for a tutorial on how to set your gains........or you could take your car to a shop and pay them to do it for you.

The tweeters aiming at your feet isn't so good either...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.