New to car audio stuff... where to start? Tips?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys,

I have a 2003 cavalier (4-door sedan, stock everything, no power anything). It is basically the most plain car that I've ever seen, but I at least want to be able to enjoy some good music in it. Stock, it comes with some 4x6's up in front and 6x9's in the back. I have read numerous other posts relating to a number of topics and am now as informed on the topic as I have ever been. It sounds like I'll probably end up with a new head unit, some 6.5 comps up front (I'll have to drill holes for the tweeters) and some sort of sub in the back. I really don't know much about car audio, but I figure that if I take it one step at a time (and with the help of all of you generous people online) I will be able to get some nice sound up in there.

And here comes the question... If I want to upgrade my car in such a stepwise manner, should my first step be to replace the head unit? I've heard that a good hu can improve the sound that comes from the factory speakers, although my factory speakers seem particularly useless.

I am on a budget here and was looking at the Pioneer DEH-1300MP for $60 on amazon. It has a built-in amp (4 x 50W) and one 2V RCA preout. Do those numbers look alright? I found some Hifonics ZXi 6.5C comps for $70 at onlinecarstereo dot com. Would these run just fine off the head unit, or would I need an amp?... or a better hu?

One problem is that the cavalier's stock head unit is a big old double din, and to get to it you basically have to take apart the whole dash. But I really don't want to buy a double din hu. There is a universal din pocket that I found on crutchfield dot com. Is the fix really that easy?

And lastly, aside from the actual head unit, the din pocket, and a simple harness, is there anything that I'll need to put in a head unit?

Thanks so much. I really don't mind putting the time into my car; I just don't have the knowledge or skill to do it alone. You can comment on any one of my inquiries.... I'll take all the help that you have to offer!

I would first buy a pioneer headunit, then buy some components. I would buy the stuff from an authorized dealer though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.