New to Car Audio - Pimp my Civic

Participant count
  • Participant list
Had a frank conversation with the wife about finances and the likelihood that I'll be replacing my 2009 Honda Civic any time soon.... anyway, since I'm apparently going to be driving the old girl for a while, I thought I'd go ahead and have some fun.

I do a lot with home audio. Never monkeyed around with car audio. The Civic is an 09 and there's a lot of info online for DIYers.

I'd like to upgrade the stock speakers and headunit, and I'd like to do it for fairly cheap. Rule of cool is what matters to me. I listen exclusively to digital, usually streaming. Don't need a tape deck or even really a CD player.

Any advice y'all have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Jake

App radio seems to be what your looking for, do you use apple or Android devices?

Fully treat your front doors and get a nice component set for them.

App radio seems to be what your looking for, do you use apple or Android devices? Fully treat your front doors and get a nice component set for them.
I agree but, first thing I would do is set a budget. Personally I never include my head unit in the budget.

Thats a tough question. My background with home audio is building a fun system through used gear found locally. My hope with car audio is that it'll another thing to thinker with and have fun.

What's the general impression of used gear for cars?

As far as a budget goes, would $200 even get me started?

Thats a tough question. My background with home audio is building a fun system through used gear found locally. My hope with car audio is that it'll another thing to thinker with and have fun.

Nope thats only enough for speakers and thats a mediocre level speaker. Im selling some jbl MS62c component set it has really awesome midbass and its right up your alley budget wise. Its in really good condition. Honestly your best bet probably

$200? I would probably look towards adding a zero to that for a decent sounding system. Especially being big into Home Audio, you probably will want this car to sound pretty good.

If you're patient enough and enjoy the lurking some great deals can be had on Craigslist that while they may not be up to some people's quality, they surely fit most. A couple hundred dollars could get you some sonicelectronix specials too!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That's sort of what I'm thinking - be patient, lurk and search around, build a system slowly, with lot of monkeying around in the mean time.

I would have a hard time putting a $2k system into a stock 2009 civic with just short of 100k on it and a backseat full of my kids' cheetos.

there's a guy locally with some new speakers for sale - 6.5" Infinity Kappas for $85 a set

JL TR 6" for $80

Alpine type e for $65

I know nothing about these - good deal? - but have a pair of Infinity Kappa 5.1s in my office that I love.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.