New to car audio, looking for advice/recommendations to improve AVH-P3200BT and mount

Participant count
  • Participant list

doggiesnot

I have an AVH-P3200BT that I got for x-mas. I'm in the process of making it fit in my '98 Dodge Avenger. I've added the Sirius add-on and it works great! I'm looking to someday add amps, sub, etc., but honestly have no idea what I want or need. I won't be pushing it too hard, but enjoy music that just sounds good, and hopefully at a reasonable price.

Currently, it's just "sitting" in the bay and I'm having a hard time finding brackets to fit. I thought one on installer.com for a Honda or Hyundai looked promising, but am not sure if the screw hole positions are precise enough. The attachment holes in the car are as follows: top holes are on the sides, bottom holes are on the bottom, outer edges. I can get exact measurements if it helps. I don't mind cutting the plastic trim of the car to fit, which will be necessary.

The passenger side front speaker crackles, so I need new speakers.

Questions:

1) How can I mount this best?

2) All the extra add-ons are just crammed in the back. Do these have to be mounted? I'm running out of space back there.

3) What amps/sub should I look at adding on, and how do I connect these?

4) What are good speakers for good sound at a fair price, and should I replace all four at once?

It's interesting that the bulkiness of this unit, coupled with the location of the gear shifter when in park, helps as a theft deterrent! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Any and all discussions or advice is welcome and appreciated.

Remember, I'm a complete noob, so fire away with any and all ideas. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

1. It won't be a direct fit with any kit. You need to modify something.

2. For stuff like that, I usually use zip ties to secure them, just so they're no bouncing around.

3. Varies greatly depending on tastes. Search around, see what other have done and use that as a guide for determining what you want. Searching will also teach you how to connect everything. Hell, you can even learn this stuff with a simple google search.

4. These. There are plenty of other options, as well as cheaper option. I'd replace the front and amp those along with your sub. Most people are fine with stock rears running off HU power or even no rear speakers at all.

A thief will break the gear shifter to take the unit. They'll also break your window in the process. You can't stop a thief unless you catch them in the act. They could care less if they break your car or scratch the unit in the process.

1. It won't be a direct fit with any kit. You need to modify something.2. For stuff like that, I usually use zip ties to secure them, just so they're no bouncing around.

3. Varies greatly depending on tastes. Search around, see what other have done and use that as a guide for determining what you want. Searching will also teach you how to connect everything. Hell, you can even learn this stuff with a simple google search.

4. These. There are plenty of other options, as well as cheaper option. I'd replace the front and amp those along with your sub. Most people are fine with stock rears running off HU power or even no rear speakers at all.

A thief will break the gear shifter to take the unit. They'll also break your window in the process. You can't stop a thief unless you catch them in the act. They could care less if they break your car or scratch the unit in the process.
Thanks! Lots of good info. Can't believe I didn't think of zip ties!

1. It won't be a direct fit with any kit. You need to modify something.2. For stuff like that, I usually use zip ties to secure them, just so they're no bouncing around.

Thanks! Lots of good info. Can't believe I didn't think of zip ties!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.