New system-help with HU choices

BB_King89
10+ year member

AZ
So, after prowling the site for the past few weeks looking at the vast information here I decided it was about time i registered. I have been out of the audio field for a while now and so much has changed. I am looking at upgrading my pickup with a new audio system focusing more on SQ than SPL but cant decide on a HU to choose from.

My possible HU choices based on budget so far are:

JVC Arsenal A95BT

Kenwood Exelon X996

Pioneer DEH-P9400BH

I really like the possibly of Android comp. since I do not have an apple product which is why i am looking at the A95BT. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find anyone who has experience with this unit. I was originally looking at going for the Pioneer 80PRS but after reading another posting here I dont know if that might be overkill for my future setup.

I plan on going with Focal Audio 100KRS components, 2x10" Subs, Independent AMPS for each. I know the rest of my setup is vague but I only have a framework for what I am looking for at the moment and will save my other questions for other sub forums when i get there. I would appreciate any information as to the SQ/Build Quality differences between these units. Thanks in advance and if I am overlooking a better possibility i would love to hear it.

Thanks.

i really love the pioneer 9400bh. it does not have the greatest eq in the world or anything, but as far as user interface goes, it is fantastic. if youre using external processing it could be used just fine for sq, but unless youre doing sq competition or something, youd probably never notice the difference.

So, after prowling the site for the past few weeks looking at the vast information here I decided it was about time i registered. I have been out of the audio field for a while now and so much has changed. I am looking at upgrading my pickup with a new audio system focusing more on SQ than SPL but cant decide on a HU to choose from.
My possible HU choices based on budget so far are:

JVC Arsenal A95BT

Kenwood Exelon X996

Pioneer DEH-P9400BH

I really like the possibly of Android comp. since I do not have an apple product which is why i am looking at the A95BT. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find anyone who has experience with this unit. I was originally looking at going for the Pioneer 80PRS but after reading another posting here I dont know if that might be overkill for my future setup.

I plan on going with Focal Audio 100KRS components, 2x10" Subs, Independent AMPS for each. I know the rest of my setup is vague but I only have a framework for what I am looking for at the moment and will save my other questions for other sub forums when i get there. I would appreciate any information as to the SQ/Build Quality differences between these units. Thanks in advance and if I am overlooking a better possibility i would love to hear it.

Thanks.
If you have tha $ for an x996, throw another fitty or so at it and get the 80prs. If not, the x996 is very nice.

...and welcome to the site!

i really love the pioneer 9400bh. it does not have the greatest eq in the world or anything, but as far as user interface goes, it is fantastic. if youre using external processing it could be used just fine for sq, but unless youre doing sq competition or something, youd probably never notice the difference.
Yeah I wont be doing any competing and the UI of a unit is always a plus to consider. Thanks for the input so far guys, I think I am going to wave out the 2400BH now at least. So, are there enough quality differences between the x996 and the 80PRS to justify the price increase. It seems I would lose features going to the 80PRS but gain that much more in performance? Doesn't seem like the JVC model favors well with anyone lol.

So JVC has a HU that integrates with Android device? IMO it's about time we have some Android options!

My best advice is to order from a company with a good return policy and a good variety, that way if you really don't like your first pick you can swap it back and try another one.

i actually do like the newer jvc models a lot, but to me the user interface is what separates pioneer from the other choices. i currently own a kenwood, basically last years model of what you have listed, and its great with bluetooth, rear usb, etc, but i prefer my old pioneer which is basically the same as the 9400bh.

So JVC has a HU that integrates with Android device? IMO it's about time we have some Android options!
My best advice is to order from a company with a good return policy and a good variety, that way if you really don't like your first pick you can swap it back and try another one.
That makes a lot of sense but I am not a huge fan of dealing with exchanges via mail. If there were a few options locally I could deal with that would be great. I was looking at buying from either abt or crutchfield since they are authorized dealers for a lot of manufacturers. As far as devices go, android support is one of the reasons i was looking at the x996 and A95BT models with either an android app or BT support. There is also the Alpine 138BT but i have yet to see consistent positive feedback over the latest alpine single DIN HU unless someone has an opinion otherwise.

i actually do like the newer jvc models a lot, but to me the user interface is what separates pioneer from the other choices. i currently own a kenwood, basically last years model of what you have listed, and its great with bluetooth, rear usb, etc, but i prefer my old pioneer which is basically the same as the 9400bh.

Always hard to overlook practical usability and that is another reason why I was asking here to get more insight on the devices themselves. I could actually fit a double DIN HU into my truck but I figured at my pricepoint any HU i pick would be on the low end compared to the top of the line single DIN units. Is that assumption valid?

-edit-

Also, are all of the HU pretty much the same in terms of build quality? I am used to PC components where typically the longer warranty dictates higher quality components being used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so after looking at everything else I will need to be getting I dont think i can afford to get the 80PRS unless it is just that much better than everything else.

What is the next best option other than the 80PRS? I have ruled out the JVC so I am essentially asking for some thoughts out of the 9400BH, x996(or x896), and the 138BT. Is the extra $$ for more band EQ on the x996 worth it over the other options? thanks

9400 bH is a close second to the prs. Yes the equal will make a difference, but the 9400 is feature packed. I basically own the Kenwood in question, and I'd rather have the pioneer.

9400 bH is a close second to the prs. Yes the equal will make a difference, but the 9400 is feature packed. I basically own the Kenwood in question, and I'd rather have the pioneer.
Thanks for the input, have you compared your x996 SQ to the 9400BH? I seems like in order to get default Android support I would have to sacrifice on units with better SQ which I dont think is worth.

I just realized you already posted earlier you have last years model and its pretty much the same so sorry about asking about you comparing the latest model to the Kenwood. There certainly doesnt seem to be any question that any of the higher end single DIN models will be good to an extent but it looks like Pioneer is the majority favorite.

Quick question: Since JVC and Kenwood have merged i have seen some post about how they are for different markets but what are those targeted markets exactly? Essentially if i were to narrow down my choices to two HU, both x996 and A95BT have some of the features i want such as android support, BT, and HD radio. Which of these two compares closer to the P9400?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.