New subs today, Im dissapointed. I have questions

Yeah I was surprised he only paid 150 for the enclosure from a shop. I was just curious how much shops charged to build a box in my area, 400 and up for a box for 2 10s.
For real. I paid $270 for my box for a single 15.. Nothing special. No more than probably 1 sheet of mdf. Guys didn't even carpet the whole box, or use terminals. Just drilled a hole and stuffed wire. $50 box for $270. Live and learn!

lol even when i first started car audio, after being quoted by several shops, i always thought 400+$ for a sheet of wood cut and glued to a shape? WTF is this? *bought a prefab and lived happier with money in the pocket for actual builds*

You were definately looking the wrong direction if you want to have to shout to be heard in your car. those subs in a sealed box are doing what they were designed to do, which is what you also noted they are doing which is sounding good

For the price you payed for those JL's you could've got a lot better!!! Ask your shop if the box was built around your trucks cabin gain...

And by what type of music you listen to.

Low quality, low xmax subs in a sealed box that's too small won't produce much in the way of loud. Nor will they play a low note. From the price of the box, I'd bet it's a 5/8" mfd prefab.

If you insist on JL subs, I would recommend two of the 8W6 subs in a custom ported box. And if you're not stuck to the brand, the CT Sounds Strato 8s or Sundown SA-8s would be far better.

I have a customer with a Titan who is running two Strato 8s in a home made ported (under seat) box on an NVX 1200 watt monoblock and he's shaking the shite out of his truck. I just got him two more of those subs and will be doing a custom box for all 4.

In my opinion, you're far better off with smaller, high xmax subs in adequate boxes, regardless of the vehicle. There isn't enough volume under the seats of any truck for two 12s and if I had a dollar for everyone who shoved two 12s under their seat and wound up disappointed, I could retire. ;-)

Here is a breakdown of the money spent.
JL Audio JX500/1 $269.95

JL Audio 12w1v3-4 $179.95 X 2 = 359.90

Custom built box $150

4 awg sub amp kit $80

LOC $60

Install $75

Tax $60
Assuming that's what you wanted to spend and get all new equipment at the same pricepoint..

Audioqueue Q1-1200D Amplifier-269 (yes that's 1200+ watts compared to your 500)

If you want to keep your SQ and gain SPL..

Sundown SD-10's in a ported box 160x2=320

You'd be much happier with a setup like that. The SD line from sundown is beefy for a shallow mount. Should have no issue fitting them and having pleny of room for a good box for them.

don't feel too bad for what you bought from a shop tou didn't get ripped at all but if you woulda did some online shopping you coulda got more for your money

If anything was done wrong here it was not giving the customer what he wants, and that could well have been a communication error from both parties. Who knows, none of us overheard the sales conversation(s). OP, I suggest you go back to the shop and let them know your concerns.

There's isn't much they can "fix" to make it louder. They'll have to change the subs and amp. I don't think JL subs can take much over their rated power.
SSA Store - Sundown Audio SA-8 Subwoofer

Pretty sure these 8" subs will get louder in the proper box than those JLs will. Give them 800 watts a piece and they'll surprise you. I just heard some for the first time yesterday. Got LOUD for 2 8" subs
I guarantee him one of those sundown 8's in the proper enclosure and power will get louder than his current setup. I had one that got louder and sounded better than most of the 10 and 12 inch setups in my area.

The probably threw a prefab box in your truck. In a proper job,those JLs are ok. But I'm betting you are getting something like .7 cu ft per sub sealed and you just can't do much good at all with that setup.

So I just has my subs installed Today. I have a 2013 Nissan Titan and put two JL Audio 12W1V3's in a custom box (Not ported im pretty sure) powered by a JL 500/1. And it is not nearly as loud as I was expecting.
My questions.

I was expecting it to be very loud, well, loud enough to where I couldn't have a conversation in my truck without screaming\yelling loudly. This is not the case, I can carry a conversation by talking loudly but not screaming or straining. Were my expectations too high? and this is normal? I haven't had subs for 10 years, last subs I had were 2 kicker tens in the back of a mustang. I remember those being louder or just as loud as this.

Second question.

I did read somewhere that these subs need a week or two to "Break in" and will be a big difference when they do. Is this true? will it be that big of a difference that it makes up for my disappointment?

And last question. Should I go back to the installer and bring up these issues? The people there are very nice and I don't want to be a pain in the *** if my expectations were too high. But for a $1000 I feel like it should be louder

You got any photos of the install, especially the box? What's the setting on the headunit and the amplifier? I'm asking because I have a single 12 inch JL W3v2 (the old kind) in a prefab ported box from Alumapro getting 600 watts from an old black Lanzar amp and it was good enough, and that's in a big Deville, not a truck cab. It is not bouncing my eyeballs or making my ears hurt as if I'm in an airplane but definitely loud enough to enjoy it. Don't feel discouraged by the comments here, most of the dudes here don't have any experience in JL equipment and holds a sour grape theory against JL since they can't afford it. Many shops don't set the setting at max potential so things last longer so maybe they don't have it turned up. The JL 500/1 can do a little over 700 watts RMS on an reactive load at 2 ohms so it isn't a puny amp, and I've personally dumped a HiFonics 1606D into a single 12W0 before and it survived.

If you're not comfortable changing the settings on the amp/headunit then drive back to the shop and tell them your concern.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.