New subs today, Im dissapointed. I have questions

Kenbob

So I just has my subs installed Today. I have a 2013 Nissan Titan and put two JL Audio 12W1V3's in a custom box (Not ported im pretty sure) powered by a JL 500/1. And it is not nearly as loud as I was expecting.

My questions.

I was expecting it to be very loud, well, loud enough to where I couldn't have a conversation in my truck without screaming\yelling loudly. This is not the case, I can carry a conversation by talking loudly but not screaming or straining. Were my expectations too high? and this is normal? I haven't had subs for 10 years, last subs I had were 2 kicker tens in the back of a mustang. I remember those being louder or just as loud as this.

Second question.

I did read somewhere that these subs need a week or two to "Break in" and will be a big difference when they do. Is this true? will it be that big of a difference that it makes up for my disappointment?

And last question. Should I go back to the installer and bring up these issues? The people there are very nice and I don't want to be a pain in the *** if my expectations were too high. But for a $1000 I feel like it should be louder

Your not gonna get too loud with a 300 watt sub. Especially not to the point where you gotta yell to have a conversation. It will get a little bit louder and deeper after it breaks in, but nothing to significant. A ported box will be louder, but again, nothing to fix your disappointment. Need a beefier sub. Coulda got what you wanted, loud, for half of what you paid.

1000 bucks was for the subs, custom box to fit my titan, LOC, Amp, Bass Control and install. I donno if that makes it any better or if I still got ripped. I will say this though. the sound quality of the subs is extremely top notch.

Maybe if I go to a bigger amp. Say a JL 1000/1? I know the subs are only rated to 300w a piece. It was the low space requirement that was appealing since I have a truck and it would go underneath my rear seat. I have literally had it less than a day. Im sure if I went back to the place they would fix/change anything I wanted for minimal price.

Here is a breakdown of the money spent.

JL Audio JX500/1 $269.95

JL Audio 12w1v3-4 $179.95 X 2 = 359.90

Custom built box $150

4 awg sub amp kit $80

LOC $60

Install $75

Tax $60

There's isn't much they can "fix" to make it louder. They'll have to change the subs and amp. I don't think JL subs can take much over their rated power.

SSA Store - Sundown Audio SA-8 Subwoofer

Pretty sure these 8" subs will get louder in the proper box than those JLs will. Give them 800 watts a piece and they'll surprise you. I just heard some for the first time yesterday. Got LOUD for 2 8" subs

What is the size of the box and how is install in the truck, this is a efficient sub that don't need a ton of power, they not the louder but not so bad on that kind of power!

What is the size of the box and how is install in the truck, this is a efficient sub that don't need a ton of power, they not the louder but not so bad on that kind of power!
I don't know the exact size. They custom made it. I assumed they made it to spec. I know the Titan has a lot more room than most under their rear seats. I don't think they short changed me there.

I don't know the exact size. They custom made it. I assumed they made it to spec. I know the Titan has a lot more room than most under their rear seats. I don't think they short changed me there.
If you wanted them to be louder then you should have got the box ported as well as done some research on other sub woofers.

The car audio shops near me are JL Audio pushers and overprice everything. If I would have bought them in store, I would be broke and disappointed as well.

Makes me glad I registered on here and received some help from others.

Most definitely. At $180 a sub. You could have really got some decent subs. I'm not an audio expert at all. But my suggestion. Live and learn. But find out what your box is (cubes) and find a couple subs that match that specific cubes. And if your amp can handle it.

loud and JL do not belong in the same sentence, stop getting your @ss penatrated by JL and start putting your money onto better companies that completely outperform and outlast mainstream stuff for a fraction of the price.

Your shop's prices are Overly expensive, only the enclosure was decently priced.

loud and JL do not belong in the same sentence, stop getting your @ss penatrated by JL and start putting your money onto better companies that completely outperform and outlast mainstream stuff for a fraction of the price.
Your shop's prices are Overly expensive, only the enclosure was decently priced.
Yeah I was surprised he only paid 150 for the enclosure from a shop. I was just curious how much shops charged to build a box in my area, 400 and up for a box for 2 10s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.