new subs not very loud, help.

jmw703
10+ year member

First off, this is my first post on these forums and i do not know where this thread should go but oh well..Secondly, im relatively new to car audio so dont tear me up if i dont know what im talking about.

Anyways i just bought 2 kicker cvr 12s, the 2007 models if that matters, in a kicker box. I paired them up with a new rockford fosgate 4 gauge kit and a hifonics brutus brz1200.1d.

So me and my dad hooked them up yesterday and i was rather disappointed, they are not as loud as i thought they would be. They are louder but not terribly louder than my previous setup which was 2 pioneer 10s rated at 120rms per sub and they were wired to 4 ohms only getting 85-90 watts per sub on an old, cheap 2 channel amp.

My question is could i have hooked it up wrong ? I know the gain shouldnt be that high, I'm overpowering the subs by 50 rms each as it is.

Or could it be my head unit? im using a alpine cde-100 which only has 1 2v pre out which is currently being used for my speaker amp, i had to get a pac-LC1 RCA knob to adjust the sub bass. Would i need to get a HU with more than one 4v pre outs?

Any thoughts, suggestions or input would be helpful, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are you using a line out converter? Are you sure you didn't swap any wires for the subs? If it's not very loud chances are you wired them out of phase, i.e. when one sub moves forward, the other moves inward, and they cancel eachother out. Try disconnecting one sub and see if that makes a difference.

Well if he's using a LOC he might not have set the output voltage on it correctly, so he may have to crank the gain to match up the amp to the preout. However I still think you may have wired the subs wrong

have you tried it with out the knob? I would double check all wiring like stated above. If everything is correct then build a box for them. the kicker one is small and tuned really high

So are you using a line out converter? Are you sure you didn't swap any wires for the subs? If it's not very loud chances are you wired them out of phase, i.e. when one sub moves forward, the other moves inward, and they cancel eachother out. Try disconnecting one sub and see if that makes a difference.

that is what the car audio shop installed in my car when they put my first system in, otherwise i wouldnt have been able to control the bass because i had no bass knob with the amp..

What do you mean swap wires for the subs, the only wires i changed were the power and ground, other than that i took out one set of speaker wire because only one set was needed to feed into the amp as opposed to 2 sets from both sides of the box from the previous system

the knob is called pac LC1 universal remote level control via rca interconnect

The subs were already wired in the box when i bought them by the way, the only wiring i did with the subs was from the terminals on the box to the amp

From what I think I read?? Sounds like you only wired one sub up from the sub box??? Make sure your subs are wired properly for the amplifier ohms load??But sounds like you only have one sub hooked up since you only connected one set of wires coming from the sub box????Just make sure that your subs are wired right and make sure that the amp can handle the ohms value

I always use a 9v battery to check polarity. (when in doubt)

If you touch a 9v battery to the input terminals and both the subs go in the same direction, your polarity is good. If one goes out and the other goes in, one of them is reversed. If the positive and negative terminals match the box input terminals, the woofer moving into the box will be the one that needs to be changed.

An unorthodox method, but quicker than removing the speakers.

Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty sure it's either a phase/ sub wiring issue or maybe my power wire isn't connected well to my fuse. I'll check both tomorrow and get back on here with the results

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.