New subs for 97 ram

Participant count
  • Participant list

SgtBass
10+ year member

Hey guys i currently have a 97 ram 1500 extended cab, i have all new pioneer speakers and a pioneer head unit, I purchased a Hifonics BRX2000.1D to power my older kicker solobaric L7 in a ported box, its running at 2ohms right now, its loud and sounds good but certain notes it doesn't hit right and sounds like ****. so ive decided i wanted to get a alpine type r 12 because once of my buddies has a type s and its loud, but i cant decide if i should get a ported or sealed box. any ideas?

Im looking for loudness, but i also want it to sound good, and the amp i have puts out 1400w rms at 2ohms and 2000w rms at 1ohm, if i wire it to 2ohms would the amp be putting out to much for the speaker to handle? i dont want to blow it right after i get it

Had a pair of older type r 12's wired at 1 ohm on a brutus 2400 and they got loud and sounded good but had to turn the amp down a little. not much but if at wide open it was putting out 2400 and i set it around 3/4 my guess is around 2000 watts to the pair which is recomended power. at wide open they got pretty warm during a 2hr ride to jax. Mine were installed in a prefab vented box made from 5/8 mdf and 1.75cu' each chamber i believe. It sounded dang good from what i recall untill it blew the back of the box loose and sounded terrible after that. box was stapled together? wtf is up with that? any ways thats just my experience with them and i liked them alot. all you need to do is test them yourself and if they get warm just turn the power down a little

Had a pair of older type r 12's wired at 1 ohm on a brutus 2400 and they got loud and sounded good but had to turn the amp down a little. not much but if at wide open it was putting out 2400 and i set it around 3/4 my guess is around 2000 watts to the pair which is recomended power. at wide open they got pretty warm during a 2hr ride to jax. Mine were installed in a prefab vented box made from 5/8 mdf and 1.75cu' each chamber i believe. It sounded dang good from what i recall untill it blew the back of the box loose and sounded terrible after that. box was stapled together? wtf is up with that? any ways thats just my experience with them and i liked them alot. all you need to do is test them yourself and if they get warm just turn the power down a little
I have a buddy that has a 12 inch type s in a prefab ported box and its blown the side off of it a couple of times, he got a new amp and box for it and ended up blowing it so now hes planning on getting a 12in type x so im interested to see who thats gonna sound, Thanks for the help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

From my little research and reading other pep's experiences, the E and S Alpine subs are "economy subs" and the R and X are the performers. I had the R's and they treated me well for as crappy as i did them. And always curious to how the type X performed being that i have never seen it in person only read reviews on them. But i DO NOT go by the reviews on subs or amps on trending online stores like sonic or others where BOSS amps get rated 5/5 by a 14yr old middle schooler still wet behind the ears. Best place i have found to research car audio is here, caraudio.com!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.