New sub and amp install issue.

Nodnerb

Canada
Today I had an alpine mrv m500 (300 w at 4 ohms) installed powering a jl 8" CP108LG-W3v3 (250 w, 4 ohms) sub. Bass on hip hop and deep bass is fine and more powerful than I expected. But with rock and metal it is almost non existent. No punch at all. Turning the bass control has almost no effect on rock songs( Mötley Crüe, threat signal, all that remains) from 0- max. It just sounds muddy. But yet the rear window is visibly shaking.

Vehicle is a 2014 rav4 suv. Sub is facing up placed against the back seat in the "hatch". Gain is at 50%. Crossover at 80. 50 hz bass eq at 0. All set by installer.

Is this a positioning issue?

Problem is I have a broken leg right now. Just getting to my car and back to get it installed was difficult. Can't really hobble around my suv in the garage changing too much without taking another fall. In healthier times I'd try 20 different positions and setting but not really possible right now so I was hoping someone could tell me if it's something basic.

Any obvious issues with my setup that would cause kick drums and rock/ metal to sound bad and muddy or should I call the dealer and mention the issue?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the amp LPF set to 80Hz or the HU? Maybe both are set to 80Hz. Verify that first. Then I'd raise amp LPF all the way up and try HU LPF at 100-125Hz and see if that helps...

Thanks for the replies.

It is hooked up to the factory head unit so no hp filter.

The sub is crossed at 80 hz. Which in my home theater and any other car audio install has been great for the same songs.

The box is ported and built for the sub. It's a Jl microsub which got amazing reviews everywhere I looked.

CP108LG-W3v3 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - FlatWedge

I'll try get out today and face it toward the rear. But again, with a broken leg it's pretty difficult and the wife is out for the day. Not even sure the installer left me enough cable to Stand it up. I have crimps and soldering supplies(I'm an electronic technician)to lengthen the cable but getting into my basement and using them is an issue al together.

Ok. I just faced to toward the rear. It helped a bit but it's still muddy on most rock music and no "punch" to the kicks. It's working because I can feel it vibrating the car and the mirror rattles like crazy but on rock music it still just gets muddy with no defined punch to the kicks or anything. Confused.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.