New Stereo Integrity Mag Pricing Leaked!

There is no frequency rolloff due to xbl^2. Myth. If there really were, my xbl^2 enabled mids would **** pretty hard core. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

There's even been talk of xbl^2 tweeters...

****, figures right when I am ready to buy a sub, this comes out and would fit right into my box I have now! I don't want to wait till spring. Looks like I will get the CVX to hold me over till these start to ship out. Awesome price! Can't wait.

There is no frequency rolloff due to xbl^2. Myth. If there really were, my xbl^2 enabled mids would **** pretty hard core. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Different in subwoofers than other speakers...

nG

At one point Dan had even talked about the potential for an XBL^2 compression driver......don't know if anything ever happened with that though.

But yes, "dreaded XBL^2 rolloff" makes about as much sense as "dreaded overhung rolloff".

And PS, your XBL^2 mids do **** pretty hard core //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/moon.gif.9d317aec3339ffe7fde0638df52c628a.gif Ohhhhhhhh! You just got Pimpsmacked! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/slap.gif.87520e8ca8e90076ac30e777c0de5331.gif

The new Mag kind of feels like what the Brahma MKIV should have been.

Wish I could trade my current gen Mag for one, I have no use for its loud ported wonders and don't particularly enjoy its high F3 sealed box experience.

And PS, your XBL^2 mids do **** pretty hard core //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/moon.gif.9d317aec3339ffe7fde0638df52c628a.gif Ohhhhhhhh! You just got Pimpsmacked! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/slap.gif.87520e8ca8e90076ac30e777c0de5331.gif
You really know how to hurt a guy! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

I'm not saying the roll-off is a function of the XBL^2...
They just happened to come hand in hand, quite often...

Brahma, XXX, Avalanche, etc...

nG
The rolloff everyone is taking about is simply a function of inductance, not of XBL or any other motor design individually. Any driver with many turns on the coil will have this issue. Some of the most notorious were huge overhung drivers, TC drivers, especially the LMT units which had huge inductance. The old 3HP units for example like our HE15 that TC made for us back in 2002 had HUGE inductance in the 6mH range. You can see the following graph of the near field response measured by Tom Nousaine.

power15-nf.gif

You'll see a peak centered about 70hz and then a rolloff beginning above that point. This is a function strictly of the high inductance. In other drivers where inductance was nearly twice as high this peak would be pushed into the 45hz range and above that you begin to see the rolloff. In these cases you are extremely limiting your bandwidth. It's not only the rolloff that causes issues with integration, but the peaking prior to the rolloff. You can EQ out the peak, but the phase and distortion issues caused by the high inductance cannot be corrected.

Again, none of this is strictly related to any particular motor design,simply the inductance itself. A near field response of the driver and measured impedance curve should tell you everything you need to know about the high frequency limits of the driver.

John

why? xbl is in the motor. not coil
because of the configuration, and how the motor sits in the basket basically. i would think it would be hard to get say, a Fi coil to fit into the the same space constraints. isnt the mounting depth like just retardedly shallow? i would assume this means using a shorter coil too no?

i really have no idea, but thats what i would assume.

I think what Park was trying to get across is there's nothing special added to the coil to make the design xbl2. It's all in the top plate. If you know the gap sizes you can size up your own coil to fit it.

Best,

Mark

P.S. Of course, I cannot speak for Park directly. But then, he can't at this time either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Not only would you have to know the exact coil height, but you would also have to know how to align the coil. You can't eyeball it because the coil sits inside the top plate. It's not a traditional even hung, it's not overhung, and it's not overhung. Centering the coil properly is critical because with XBL^2 there are essentially two or more high-flux regions (which results in a very linear overall BL curve). So getting the right coil isn't the only thing to worry about.

PS: We won't sell anyone just the motor. Grabbing random parts from other vendors and mating them up to our motor still wouldn't give you the performance of what we would supply with our version of a 15" Mag. It might end up being a working driver, but it wouldn't be a Mag 15.

That raises something interesting. What are the tolerances like with xbl2? The way you are explaining things, if you aren't 'bang on' with the alignment, the technology is useless.

If this is indeed the case, what happens with drivers that have been exercised, or experience suspension sag in either direction? Mounting drivers horizontally in either direction will induce suspension sag. If tolerances are so tight, one would not want to mount an xbl2 unit this way.

Best,

Mark

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.