New HU integration with factory Bose amp - anybody BTDT?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ignorant1

Here
I'm looking to replace the HU while retaining the factory Bose amp & system (for now). From what I’ve read, the Bose amp wants a higher than normal pre-amp output voltage, so it looks like I’ll need to run the speaker level outputs through a “Line Output Converter”. (Seems that you guys like the Navone Engineering ones?)

Is this the correct way to do the install? (Yeah, I know the “correct way” would mean replacing the Bose amp and the weird 2-ohm speakers, but $$$ is a factor for now.)

Has anyone tried running this type of Bose amp directly from the speaker level outputs? (Or is that just a really, Really, REALLY stupid question?)

Sorry for the newby-ish questions, and a big THANKS in advance for your help!

Oh, BTW, it's a ’98 Mercedes E-class. (Old style HU – single DIN, no fiber optic or CAN-bus wheel controls.)

Thank you SO much for your help! I sincerely appreciate it!

You likely saved me from a lot of grief, as the clown at Bozo-Buy, er... ugh... Best-Buy told me that he just hooks up the speaker outputs directly to the Bose amp. I specifically asked him if it causes any clipping, and he just said "it's no problem". Yeah, right....

Thanks Again!

keep_hope_alive:

Thanks again! It works great with the Navone line output conditioners (two N-686's because they were out of stock on the 4-channel units). I initially tried it without them, but the gain was WAY too much, and there was a loud pop whenever I changed radio stations. With the conditioners, excellent results.

Well, excellent except for my amateur screwup listed in the other thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/599339-factory-antenna-amplifier-%3D-fried.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.