New head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Winwright

CarAudio.com Newbie
England
Hey guys, I currently own a Pioneer DEH X7800, it met my needs, however I wouldn't say it was tuned optimally. Before deciding on somebody tuning my setup I decided on a new head unit, I got some recommendation regarding the Pioneer 80 PRS, I believe one of the mentions was the built in DSP. I purchased the head unit, overall it felt like a lesser quality product (in my hands / visually), I set the system up how I would myself. I found I didn't really notice much difference at all, especially to warrant the 260 tag, I also found it a little tedious having to use my phone to change songs on the BT as it doesn't seem to support this whereas the newer unit I can change using the headunit controls.

Will I really notice enough difference to warrant the tag? Or is there a newer unit that will be better? I was aiming for under 200, or will my current head unit more then suffice? I am using a 2 channel amp, component speakers in the front, an active subwoofer, rear speakers are coaxs just connected to the hu.

Thank you :)

The 80prs is a fantastic headunit. Are you running it it Network mode or standard? I use flash drives full of music and use the headunit to switch songs. When using bluetooth I do use my phone.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I believe it's running in standard, I believe it does alter something in regards to the high, mids and lows etc in network mode but I don't know much about it. I have an active sub, not sure if that works the same with the network mode.

I like using my phone, I stream playlists from TIDAL, I find the BT on the 80 PRS doesn't appear to change songs whereas it does on the other unit.

If you was to say to me, correctly tuned it'll make a noticable difference over the other unit, I'll put up with the annoyance, alternatively I'll return it and purchase another or just spend it on something else audio related.

The deh-s6120 has 4v preouts and runs active so if you’re having buyers remorse over the total money spent that’s a unit to consider. I’d rather have the 80prs you have so If rent ain’t short and you’re not missing 60$ I’d keep it.

Your old 7800 doesn’t run active. If your Comp set is decent and comprised of 4 ohm tweeters and 4 ohm midrange , ditch the passive crossovers, grab an adequate 4 channel amp to run tweets 1/2 and mids 3/4, then let the 80prs really shine with its tuning and crossover capabilities

I've got hertz esk 165.5 components bud -

So basically you remove the crossover and both the woofer and tweeter go straight to the amp?

Like I said i was happy to purchase the item in the first place, just think I was expecting more from the off.

I was getting quite annoyed about having to use my phone to change tracks, but if it's think worth it I'll get over it.

The owner manual indicates the tweeters and drivers are both 4ohm. The peak on the tweeter is 150 and 210 on the driver so correctly set your gain by channel and you won’t need an absolute monster of an amp.

The owner manual indicates the tweeters and drivers are both 4ohm. The peak on the tweeter is 150 and 210 on the driver so correctly set your gain by channel and you won’t need an absolute monster of an amp.

So am I going to notice a big difference when tuned between 80prs, active network mode, no rear speakers. As opposed to the 7800, standard, crossovers and rear speakers connected to the hu?

Thank you for all your help.

Does it matter the wires run along the same path as the other RCA wires that was already in place? I just unplugged the rear speakers, too much hassle taking it all out etc in the back of mine.

I've noticed the sound sounds a lot more polished and crisper after I run the automatic ta and eq until I can get it tuned properly, however the subwoofer seems to be lacking a bit of kick and it actually said my sub is located a stupidly far distance on the TA test, do you need to change something on the sub, like the frequency so its picked up?,

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.