Time for new HU, please help me with a few questions

Chicken Vindaloo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sep 17, 2019
Merritt Island, FL
Hi Gurus,
Please bear with me: I have a factory stock Bose nav unit in a 2007 Vette. Last straw was losing the clock on the screen (aside from zero connectivity).
For now, I just want to replace the HU and I'm looking at the Kenwood Excelon DNX995S or perhaps the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. I'll prolly keep the car another 2-3 years, so I don't want to go overboard with new speakers, amp, etc. I know this limits SQ improvement. I would like 2 camera inputs, HD radio, and use Android Auto for nav, and have premium Spotify.
1. I've heard that Bose speakers offer low impedance. Will that damage a new HU without other modifications?
2. I have a Galaxy S7 which I'll likely replace in the next couple of years. Is a USB extension still a problem? I couldn't get one to work with AA in my truck with an AVIC NEX 8100 a few years ago. But it would be way more convenient as opposed to pulling the dash to install a type C USB when the time comes. Or can I install a micro usb in one port and a type C in the other? I know that sometimes (always?) one port is only for charging.
3. Thoughts between the two units? Some folks here said Kenwood double dins are buggy.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I'll stop here for now. Thanks for your help!

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
Hi Gurus,
Please bear with me: I have a factory stock Bose nav unit in a 2007 Vette. Last straw was losing the clock on the screen (aside from zero connectivity).
For now, I just want to replace the HU and I'm looking at the Kenwood Excelon DNX995S or perhaps the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. I'll prolly keep the car another 2-3 years, so I don't want to go overboard with new speakers, amp, etc. I know this limits SQ improvement. I would like 2 camera inputs, HD radio, and use Android Auto for nav, and have premium Spotify.
1. I've heard that Bose speakers offer low impedance. Will that damage a new HU without other modifications?
2. I have a Galaxy S7 which I'll likely replace in the next couple of years. Is a USB extension still a problem? I couldn't get one to work with AA in my truck with an AVIC NEX 8100 a few years ago. But it would be way more convenient as opposed to pulling the dash to install a type C USB when the time comes. Or can I install a micro usb in one port and a type C in the other? I know that sometimes (always?) one port is only for charging.
3. Thoughts between the two units? Some folks here said Kenwood double dins are buggy.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I'll stop here for now. Thanks for your help!
If I were buying a well priced 2din it would be the pioneer unit you mentioned. Pioneer headunits check off all the boxes for me including user usability. If I didn’t get a pioneer i would probably get a pricier alpine.

Those replacement head units are meant to run 4 ohm speaker impedance. It could power 8 ohm but with likely decreased power output. I wouldn’t chance 2 ohm. Best bet is dig around on vette forums and find out exactly what the speaker impedance is. Is there a separate factory amp on that vehicle

OP
C

Chicken Vindaloo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sep 17, 2019
Merritt Island, FL
If I were buying a well priced 2din it would be the pioneer unit you mentioned. Pioneer headunits check off all the boxes for me including user usability. If I didn’t get a pioneer i would probably get a pricier alpine.

Those replacement head units are meant to run 4 ohm speaker impedance. It could power 8 ohm but with likely decreased power output. I wouldn’t chance 2 ohm. Best bet is dig around on vette forums and find out exactly what the speaker impedance is. Is there a separate factory amp on that vehicle
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm embarrassingly ignorant about both the speaker impedance of the stock system or if there's a factory amp, but I will try to find out on the Vette forums.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds