New guy..figuring out where to start with a 4Runner

Tama1968

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, just registered. I've got a 2019 4Runner. Currently all stock with the entune 'Premium" 8 speaker system. I have no clue about specs on anything in the system.
Honestly doesn't sound too horrible, but I'd like to start upgrading. I'm not looking to shake the paint off the truck (I went through my 'how many 15's can I cram in a Monte Carlo" phase when I was a teenager...older now, Lol!) but I'd like to be able to turn it up just a little and have a clean sound. I'm fairly mechanical, have swapped speakers, head units etc a few times over the years but by no means an expert.
Basic question is where would ya recommend I start? I can't drop thousands of bucks on this thing at once...with this particular vehicle, should I upgrade speakers first or the receiver? 99% of the time, I bluetooth my phone and play music using the Poweramp app.
Any advice appreciated!

signal is king so no matter what you do start with a new headunit or a dsp to retain factory headunit get a wide spectrum flat signal.What all are you looking to upgrade? What’s a first priority. Just add subs, upgrade speakers and factory amp, etc? How much budget do you want to start with?

commit to your ask and the forum members will commit to the responses

Why not start with power upgrade? A quality Big 3 upgrade and an AGM battery. I know it seems silly to start here before adding any actual stereo components but this is what will eventually support your stereo. Starting under the hood will allow you to plan out and or install the power cable, fuse and routing of the main power cable to the amplifiers.

From here I would find out what speakers and speaker brands will fit directly into your stock locations or aftermarket speakers specifically made to fit your ride.

Figure out if you want to use your OEM head unit or if you want to go aftermarket.

Determine what subwoofer(s) if any, you would like to have and if they will fit into your ride.

Determine the amount of power all of your speakers will need.

Will you need a LOC (Line Output Converter)?

Do you require a DSP?

What amplifier brand do you like?

What supporting purchases do you want to spend money for? i.e. OFC cables and wires, sound deadening, distribution blocks...

Why not start with power upgrade? A quality Big 3 upgrade and an AGM battery. I know it seems silly to start here before adding any actual stereo components but this is what will eventually support your stereo. Starting under the hood will allow you to plan out and or install the power cable, fuse and routing of the main power cable to the amplifiers.

good point...had not thought from that angle

With it being a premium system I am going to guess there is a factory amp. That being said you ill most likely need min a LOC more advantageous to go with a DSP. Audio Control makes excellent units of various price and features. From that point you can start with upgrading speakers or sub. DO-61 or LCQ1 are 2 very good options that have auto turn on feature and provide a remote signal for amps. Sound deadening will improve your current system, and using something with bass restoration may tune your existing set up more to your liking

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Tama1968

CarAudio.com Newbie
Tama1968
North Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from