Let's Settle It Once And For All: 80hz VS 120hz. Which Crossover Is King?

DaboTheCat

CarAudio.com Recruit
I feel like 80hz is going to win - but on my home theater with the subwoofer right inbetween my speakers 120hz sounds better.

My car setup with flagship 6.5 speakers are supposedly play down clean to 80hz which would make 80hz a good crossover point. But in reality, even with a buncha different acoustic stuff - the speakers really only sound like they're putting out down to 200hz. Huge lack of punch from a major dip around 120hz if I don't let the subwoofer handle it with a 120hz crossover.

And so, I cast the first vote for....

120HZ!

I agree. I play my music far too loud to cross the midrange at 80hz, maybe at a steeper slope, but even then... Id rather be up in the 100-120 range.

It’s your ears but if ya want to try a experiment with the ht set up try moving the sub far away from your speakers like behind you and see how it sounds. Ya might find that it’s not as good.
Most car audio is set up with front speakers and sub/subs behind the driver. Going much over 80 usually causes localization. Why most prefer staying 80 ish and lower but if your sound stage is all fd up anyway may not be a thang.

Every situation is different. What sounds good your car may sound like junk in someone else’s.

I have my sub crossed at 65hz, 18db per octave. My mids are crossed at 80hz , 6db per octave. It is the only way to get rid of a huge peak in the 70hz range.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.