New guy building first system, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

oaklandfoo

I've had my 94 civic for 3 years now and I decided it's time for a system. I wanted to make sure I did it right, and picked compatible gear, so I did some research. Two weeks ago I had no idea what rms, voice coils, and ohms were. I'm by no means an expert but I now feel I have a small general understanding.

I'm not looking for a trunk shaking competition system, just something that is nicer than bottom of the barrell and gives me better sound than I have now. Also something that is within my budget ($500-600)

So far I have this stuff picked out, although no final decisions have been made and nothing has been purchased yet.

10" pioneer sub, 350 rms, svc, 4ohms

Hifonics 1 channel amp, 400 rms @ 4ohms

Pioneer 6.5" 4 channel coaxil speakers (4), 60w rms each

Hifonics Zeus 4 channel amp, 75w rms per channel @4ohms

Pioneer deh x3600ui head unit

I just want to make sure this gear is compatible and at least somewhat appropriate for the system I'm looking to build. Any input on wiring choices, gear compatibility, or any input at all would be greatly appreciated. And take it easy on me, I'm just a newbie haha

The amp choices are questionable for sure. Zeus series are junkie. Look for used in the classifieds imo. I have an Alpine mrp-f300 that will work for those coaxials, 80.00 shipped if you want it.

i would change the amps to a similar ppi amp. they make awesome budget amps and u will see many in people's signatures. the sub is poop. try something from sound qubed. they have a 10" hds200 for around $100 far better quality than the low grade pioneer. maybe a ppi ion 350.4 for speakers and a. ion 650.1 for ur sub and bam. should set u back around $350-400 leaving $100-200 for amp wiring kit, sub box, and speakers.

ok, so Hifonics amps are crap? Like they fry out and go kapoot? or are they just not as powerful as they are rated? I have no idea really. They got decent reviews from what I had read, but I realize not all reviewers know what they are talking about, kinda like me lol.

I found the Sound Qubed hds210 for $95, and the ppi 650.1 for $107. Would you recommend getting the 2ohms sub and running that load on the amp as opposed to the 4ohm? Also, I'm not looking for anything that will rattle my trunk like crazy and draw unwanted attention. My 2 year old son will also occasionally be in the car with me, so I don't need anything that is too powerful.

I mostly listen to old school rap, death & thrash metal, punk style ska, and 80's pop. Do I need a 2ohms setup, or can i still get decent sound in 4ohms? Is the pioneer sub crappily made (its a TS-w260S4) and liable to break down on me, or is it just not as powerful of a sub for the price? ($35 less than the hds210) I was running blown stock 30w alpine speakers and a broken tape player oem unit for the last 3 years, so anything I put in should be a huge improvement. At least I would hope so.

The PPI 350.4 is $117 and I could only find it on one site. However I did find the i520.4 for $115. Is this too powerful an amp for the pioneer speakers? Are there better set of 4 speakers I could get in the same price range that might perform better with the 520.4?

I also saw the PPI BA1000.4 for $90. Could this amp work with the pioneer speakers?

Also, for the sub, can you recommend a decent budget enclosure that would work, at least for now? I have zero wood working skills (or tools, other that wood screws), and I'm honestly afraid of how my box would turn out if I built it myself. I asked a local guy how much and he said his custom boxes start at $250 plus materials, which pretty much negated that route. Haven't found anyone else in town who can do it.

As for wiring, do I need a 4ga kit for either amp, or am I ok with an 8ga? Also is a there particular brand/series of wiring kit to go with and/or avoid for my particular setup?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully that is not too much of a bombardment of info. I guess that's my nature sometimes.

thanks again!

Find a decent 5 channel, used preferred. The Ppi ion would be a decent choice. Soundqubed is a good choice, I would also look for sundown e series. Don't buy junky pioneer subs, if you really want a mainstream budget sub look into a polk db or Dxi solid subwoofer for a newbie.

ok, so Hifonics amps are crap? Like they fry out and go kapoot? or are they just not as powerful as they are rated? I have no idea really. They got decent reviews from what I had read, but I realize not all reviewers know what they are talking about, kinda like me lol.
I found the Sound Qubed hds210 for $95, and the ppi 650.1 for $107. Would you recommend getting the 2ohms sub and running that load on the amp as opposed to the 4ohm? Also, I'm not looking for anything that will rattle my trunk like crazy and draw unwanted attention. My 2 year old son will also occasionally be in the car with me, so I don't need anything that is too powerful.

I mostly listen to old school rap, death & thrash metal, punk style ska, and 80's pop. Do I need a 2ohms setup, or can i still get decent sound in 4ohms? Is the pioneer sub crappily made (its a TS-w260S4) and liable to break down on me, or is it just not as powerful of a sub for the price? ($35 less than the hds210) I was running blown stock 30w alpine speakers and a broken tape player oem unit for the last 3 years, so anything I put in should be a huge improvement. At least I would hope so.

The PPI 350.4 is $117 and I could only find it on one site. However I did find the i520.4 for $115. Is this too powerful an amp for the pioneer speakers? Are there better set of 4 speakers I could get in the same price range that might perform better with the 520.4?

I also saw the PPI BA1000.4 for $90. Could this amp work with the pioneer speakers?

Also, for the sub, can you recommend a decent budget enclosure that would work, at least for now? I have zero wood working skills (or tools, other that wood screws), and I'm honestly afraid of how my box would turn out if I built it myself. I asked a local guy how much and he said his custom boxes start at $250 plus materials, which pretty much negated that route. Haven't found anyone else in town who can do it.

As for wiring, do I need a 4ga kit for either amp, or am I ok with an 8ga? Also is a there particular brand/series of wiring kit to go with and/or avoid for my particular setup?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully that is not too much of a bombardment of info. I guess that's my nature sometimes.

thanks again!
The brx, brz and the colossus Hifonics amps are good. I'm running a brx2k and i like it, so do my hds's.

sound qubed got together with attrend and they now sell their own boxes made for their subs. ur gains can be set lower on the 520.4. more power. means more head room.

I've had my 94 civic for 3 years now and I decided it's time for a system. I wanted to make sure I did it right, and picked compatible gear, so I did some research. Two weeks ago I had no idea what rms, voice coils, and ohms were. I'm by no means an expert but I now feel I have a small general understanding.
I'm not looking for a trunk shaking competition system, just something that is nicer than bottom of the barrell and gives me better sound than I have now. Also something that is within my budget ($500-600)

So far I have this stuff picked out, although no final decisions have been made and nothing has been purchased yet.

10" pioneer sub, 350 rms, svc, 4ohms

Hifonics 1 channel amp, 400 rms @ 4ohms

Pioneer 6.5" 4 channel coaxil speakers (4), 60w rms each

Hifonics Zeus 4 channel amp, 75w rms per channel @4ohms

Pioneer deh x3600ui head unit

I just want to make sure this gear is compatible and at least somewhat appropriate for the system I'm looking to build. Any input on wiring choices, gear compatibility, or any input at all would be greatly appreciated. And take it easy on me, I'm just a newbie haha
Here's my recommendation for a full system that's as close to $500 as possible:

Deck: Clarion CZ702 Single-DIN In-Dash Bluetooth Car Stereo w/ Pandora

Amp: Precision Power PPI i640.5 iON 640W 5-Channel Class-D Amplifier

Speakers: Crescendo Audio

Sub: SSA Store - SoundQubed HDS212 12 INCH SUBWOOFER (HDS212)

As for what else you'd need:

To wire everything together, just grab a kit from KnuKonceptz Home

To have an enclosure built, research a good builder and take the solid investment for a properly-made enclosure for the sub. It may end up running you as much if not more than the sub itself, but it's just as important (if not more) to have a good enclosure. PM me if you'd like to be put in touch with a guy I know who'll ship nationally.

Here's my recommendation for a full system that's as close to $500 as possible:Deck: Clarion CZ702 Single-DIN In-Dash Bluetooth Car Stereo w/ Pandora

Amp: Precision Power PPI i640.5 iON 640W 5-Channel Class-D Amplifier

Speakers: Crescendo Audio

Sub: SSA Store - SoundQubed HDS212 12 INCH SUBWOOFER (HDS212)

As for what else you'd need:

To wire everything together, just grab a kit from KnuKonceptz Home

To have an enclosure built, research a good builder and take the solid investment for a properly-made enclosure for the sub. It may end up running you as much if not more than the sub itself, but it's just as important (if not more) to have a good enclosure. PM me if you'd like to be put in touch with a guy I know who'll ship nationally.
That would be a nice set up...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

oaklandfoo

oaklandfoo
Salem, OR
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
CSCStang