New Double din!

bullett
10+ year member

This week im gonna upgrade my kenwood dnx5120 to either the Sony XNV-660BT or the Alpine INA-900BT or the Kenwood DNX 6160... What do u guys think would be the best choice and why?? I really like the Alpines massive screen but i also like the kenwood and sony's garmin and tom tom gps functions... Im torn between which one to get!!

The kenwood has definately been great! which one would have the better sound quality?? one thing i like about the alpine is the ability to add the alpine power pack mini 4 channel amp.

Im actually going with the new Sony unit. Alpine wins out in sound quality, but i have never been impressed with their menus and their GPS units didn't come anywhere near other head units out there.

The reason i like the Sony 660BT is because of 4 things. 1 its piano black and a **** sexy looking deck, it will look perfect with the rest of my install. 2. WVGA screen, means high resolution. 3. It has 4 volt outputs. There are only a handfull of double dins than feature the 4 volt output, which IMO is a good starting point if you want good sound quality if you are running a full blown system like i am. 4. GPS is powered by Tom Tom, can't go wrong there! The ONLY thing i do not like about it is the lack of XM/SIRIUS

I honestly was not a Sony fan for years, their car audio line such as the POS explod stuff really gave them a bad name. However, their new lineup for 2010 is promising. Im probably the most anal and picky person when it comes to choosing a new headunit. Some of the new Kenwood and Alpine headunits are nice, but they just seemed to either have a look that i didn't like or be lacking in features that i was looking for.

Im actually going with the new Sony unit. Alpine wins out in sound quality, but i have never been impressed with their menus and their GPS units didn't come anywhere near other head units out there.
The reason i like the Sony 660BT is because of 4 things. 1 its piano black and a **** sexy looking deck, it will look perfect with the rest of my install. 2. WVGA screen, means high resolution. 3. It has 4 volt outputs. There are only a handfull of double dins than feature the 4 volt output, which IMO is a good starting point if you want good sound quality if you are running a full blown system like i am. 4. GPS is powered by Tom Tom, can't go wrong there! The ONLY thing i do not like about it is the lack of XM/SIRIUS

I honestly was not a Sony fan for years, their car audio line such as the POS explod stuff really gave them a bad name. However, their new lineup for 2010 is promising. Im probably the most anal and picky person when it comes to choosing a new headunit. Some of the new Kenwood and Alpine headunits are nice, but they just seemed to either have a look that i didn't like or be lacking in features that i was looking for.
They have 4V outputs?? I didn't know that... Yea the menus on the alpine kinda **** and the GPS aswell...... So u would go with the 660 then??

Rather than just spouting out 'this brand' ***** etc like most people do without supporting thier answer, i will give you an educated opinion here, i actually own a shop so i get to play with a lot of the new headunits out there.

I have heard about the slow ipod controls. Hopefully that is fixed with the new units. The 660BT actually doesn't come out for another 10 days.

I will post a review of it as soon as i get it installed.

Too bad Eclipse bit the dust, they really had the edge in the double din department for several years. Im sorry Alpine fanboys, but alpine has good sound q but aside from that, the menu, resolution, settings etc don't look like they have changed much since about 2000, they need a facelift...bad. I have personally had an IVA-W205 and almost bought a 505, the GPS is where they seem to fall behind too.

Aside from that, i think the best bang for the buck double din with GPS right now is the clarion NX500 or the Pioneer X920bt. Clarion could use a high res screen, but its very quick and responsive, their bluetooth and ipod interface is great. Pioneer wins out in the menu and screen department, a little slower tho GPS is about equal to clarion. The thing i don't like about Pioneer is they are kinda ugly IMO, they could have done more with their faceplates and button layout. The clarions are very nice looking (aside from the NX700). JVC actually wins out over both of them IMO, but at a much higher price. I cant say a whole lot about Kenwoods other thant one i installed for a customer last week took nearly a minute to boot up, other than that it seemed pretty solid.

The bottom line is, the technology is definitely out there, i am looking for the perfect balance between functionality and looks. Im just hoping for a headunit that is a home run in all departments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than just spouting out 'this brand' ***** etc like most people do without supporting thier answer, i will give you an educated opinion here, i actually own a shop so i get to play with a lot of the new headunits out there.
I have heard about the slow ipod controls. Hopefully that is fixed with the new units. The 660BT actually doesn't come out for another 10 days.

I will post a review of it as soon as i get it installed.

Too bad Eclipse bit the dust, they really had the edge in the double din department for several years. Im sorry Alpine fanboys, but alpine has good sound q but aside from that, the menu, resolution, settings etc don't look like they have changed much since about 2000, they need a facelift...bad. I have personally had an IVA-W205 and almost bought a 505, the GPS is where they seem to fall behind too.

Aside from that, i think the best bang for the buck double din with GPS right now is the clarion NX500 or the Pioneer X920bt. Clarion could use a high res screen, but its very quick and responsive, their bluetooth and ipod interface is great. Pioneer wins out in the menu and screen department, a little slower tho GPS is about equal to clarion. The thing i don't like about Pioneer is they are kinda ugly IMO, they could have done more with their faceplates and button layout. The clarions are very nice looking (aside from the NX700). JVC actually wins out over both of them IMO, but at a much higher price. I cant say a whole lot about Kenwoods other thant one i installed for a customer last week took nearly a minute to boot up, other than that it seemed pretty solid.

The bottom line is, the technology is definitely out there, i am looking for the perfect balance between functionality and looks. Im just hoping for a headunit that is a home run in all departments.
Well said... At best buy theyve had it for two weeks now.. I messed with it and it still was really slow.. : (... The kenwood is really the one im leaning towards as i havent really messed with the others u mentioned

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.