New Box Wiring

BigBearAl

I have two 2 Ohm 12" Dual-Voice Coil Kicker CompR's and an Alpine MRV-1507 Amplifier. I just bought a new ported box and it has two terminals for each speaker on the backside. I am trying to figure out if I should just wire each speaker to a channel or somehow bridge both of them into one channel. I'm confused on the Ohm stuff and would really appreciate the help.

I have two 2 Ohm 12" Dual-Voice Coil Kicker CompR's and an Alpine MRV-1507 Amplifier. I just bought a new ported box and it has two terminals for each speaker on the backside. I am trying to figure out if I should just wire each speaker to a channel or somehow bridge both of them into one channel. I'm confused on the Ohm stuff and would really appreciate the help.
you have the wrong impedance subs to get the most out of that amp.

You have 3 options for wiring the subs to a single load (i.e. amp bridged)

Option 1 - not an option

2_2ohmDVC_05ohm.png

Option 2 - not an option (amp is only stable to 4 ohm bridged)

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.png

Option 3 - you could wire it like this and get about half the rated output power from the amp

2_2ohmDVC_8ohm.png

If you want to run the amp in stereo mode (one sub per channel), you want to wire the coils in series for 4 ohm

Do this for each sub:

1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.png

Well you're in a bit of a problem my friend. Your amp isn't powerful enough for them in the first place. The subs take 500 watts each bringing you to 1000 watts rms. Anyways as for your wiring, two 2ohm dvcs can be wired to 2ohms altogether on one channel or .5 ohm which your amp won't support. You also can't bridge at 2 ohm on that amp. You could however wire each sub to a channel at 4 ohms but your amp will only give you about 200 watts out of the 500 the sub calls for so you'll never even get half of the potential with that amp. So for now you can stick with that amp and give the subs what little the amp offers without trying to over power the amp and burning it up or even ruining the subs by trying to pull more power than the amp can make or upgrade to a better amp that will give you the power you need.

Well you're in a bit of a problem my friend. Your amp isn't powerful enough for them in the first place. The subs take 500 watts each bringing you to 1000 watts rms. Anyways as for your wiring, two 2ohm dvcs can be wired to 2ohms altogether on one channel or .5 ohm which your amp won't support. You also can't bridge at 2 ohm on that amp. You could however wire each sub to a channel at 4 ohms but your amp will only give you about 200 watts out of the 500 the sub calls for so you'll never even get half of the potential with that amp. So for now you can stick with that amp and give the subs what little the amp offers without trying to over power the amp and burning it up or even ruining the subs by trying to pull more power than the amp can make or upgrade to a better amp that will give you the power you need.
Thank you guys. What amplifier would you recommend for maximum output of speakers?

UPDATE: the back of the speakers read "4 Ohm DVC" but the switch on terminal post gives me a range of 2 Ohm and 8 Ohm. I am confused, and also I thought DVC had two terminal posts instead of one, these have one.

Oh that's even better. So they're dual 4 ohms and not 2 ohms. Not all dvcs have two posts, since yours has one they already have the wiring configured inside so the switch is for you to decide whether you want a 2 ohm output or 8,it makes it easier for those who don't know much about wiring and ohms and such. So if you put a 2 ohm load on each channel of the amp you'd be getting about 400 watts rms. This is better but still not optimal. You should look for a 2 channel that puts out at least 500 rms at 2 ohms or a mono block that can handle a 1 ohm load with at least 1000 watts rms (expensive amp). With 2 4ohm dvcs you can have a final load of 1 or 4 ohms so there's plenty of options s for you, just gotta take the time to research amps and develop a budget

Oh that's even better. So they're dual 4 ohms and not 2 ohms. Not all dvcs have two posts, since yours has one they already have the wiring configured inside so the switch is for you to decide whether you want a 2 ohm output or 8,it makes it easier for those who don't know much about wiring and ohms and such. So if you put a 2 ohm load on each channel of the amp you'd be getting about 400 watts rms. This is better but still not optimal. You should look for a 2 channel that puts out at least 500 rms at 2 ohms or a mono block that can handle a 1 ohm load with at least 1000 watts rms (expensive amp). With 2 4ohm dvcs you can have a final load of 1 or 4 ohms so there's plenty of options s for you, just gotta take the time to research amps and develop a budget
Ok so how should I wire these from the outside of a ported box with two professional connections for each chamber?

Right now with your speakers set on 2 ohms, you would just run your positive/negative speaker wire from each chamber to one channel. So one 2 ohm sub to one channel and the other 2 ohm sub to the other channel. You just have to be careful because the lowest that amp goes is 2 ohms so it'll get pretty hot and your also going to be pulling it's max rms so it's going to run hot. What you don't want to do is try to pull more power than the amp puts out because then you risk frying both the amp and the sub. I would recommend getting a digital multimeter and setting the gain for the rms you need. There are a bunch of YouTube videos and how to articles that show you how to do this easy. Everyone will tell you to use an o scope or dd1 or something and those are great I use an o scope myself but for now you just want to make sure you don't fry either of your components

Right now with your speakers set on 2 ohms, you would just run your positive/negative speaker wire from each chamber to one channel. So one 2 ohm sub to one channel and the other 2 ohm sub to the other channel. You just have to be careful because the lowest that amp goes is 2 ohms so it'll get pretty hot and your also going to be pulling it's max rms so it's going to run hot. What you don't want to do is try to pull more power than the amp puts out because then you risk frying both the amp and the sub. I would recommend getting a digital multimeter and setting the gain for the rms you need. There are a bunch of YouTube videos and how to articles that show you how to do this easy. Everyone will tell you to use an o scope or dd1 or something and those are great I use an o scope myself but for now you just want to make sure you don't fry either of your components
This is not a V12 Alpine, if you thought, it's rated 450 rms x2. Will bridging not work? In my previous sealed enclosure they were bridged and both set on to 1 channel. They both hit really hard! Is this not correct?

This is not a V12 Alpine, if you thought, it's rated 450 rms x2. Will bridging not work? In my previous sealed enclosure they were bridged and both set on to 1 channel. They both hit really hard! Is this not correct?
go ahead and wire the subs in series parallel. Keep Hope Alive posted the diagram, it is the second one. His diagram uses DVC 2ohm subs but the same principal applies. 4ohm + 4ohm in series = 8ohm. 8ohm +8ohm in parallel = 4ohm. the amp will safely play bridged @ 4ohm and should push those subs just fine.

go ahead and wire the subs in series parallel. Keep Hope Alive posted the diagram, it is the second one. His diagram uses DVC 2ohm subs but the same principal applies. 4ohm + 4ohm in series = 8ohm. 8ohm +8ohm in parallel = 4ohm. the amp will safely play bridged @ 4ohm and should push those subs just fine.
Ok, I have no idea what to do with these..

2j3i1wp.jpg

I have wired, bridged, and installed them! Hit super hard, although amplifier is extremely hot. Is it because of how much power is being drawn? I also can't decide if I like them facing rear or front, I have tried both.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.